Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Latest on 8.33 requirements (merged)

GNC 255A is definitely more attractive, but I can’t find any details about it’s compatibility and installation procedure. Also, I’m considering IC A220T. Any experience using it along with KX155A? Sadly visiting UK is not an option for me :(

Last Edited by pshz at 16 Apr 10:07
EVCA

pshz wrote:

I know it was also discussed before, but does it worth to replace KX155 with GNC255 instead of obsolete and crazy expensive KX165?

It appears you answered your own question ;-)

pshz wrote:

Tech says it’s 1500EUR.

I agree with peter here, 1500 EUR seems a lot, it should be doable for less.
But it’s not plug and play: rewiring is needed (antenna, audio panel/intercom, CDI, GPS, DME, …), and this depends on what might hide behind your dashboard.
It doesn’t harm to ask why the 1.5K, there might be an explanation. Imho I wouldn’t be too cheap about it, i’m mostly concerned wether they do a good job.

Also, it might pay off to replace more old equipment in the same go, the installation cost could turn out to be less because no fiddling with old equipment is required.

GNC255A is compatible with many equipment such as KN64 DME, CDI KI-206 (and I assume all or most other King CDI). Information and wiring are in the installation manual.

Did you try to google for the installation manual ?

I replaced KX165 with GNC255A, mostly because no other options (12 Volt system – I was not aware of the TC230 converter.).
Overall I’m quite happy with the GNC255. I never thought I would use the “database feature”, but it is certainly nice when turning the knob, that the device suddenly tells you that you are on the right frequency by displaying the name of the aerodrome.

EBTN, EBST, Belgium

I was saying the opposite; you won’t get the GNC for as little as 1.5k.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Another remark:
TKM appears to be coming with a drop in replacement. But it could be a long wait.

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2017/april/06/tkm-avionics-expands-radio-lineup

I think it’s a pity that Trig didn’t come with a NAV/COM. On first sight it appears trivially easy to add a NAV receiver if you already have a COM.
But maybe the main issue is that you not only need to receive NAV, but the interfacing to legacy equipment such as CDI, DME, etc… can be difficult to get right. A built-in CDI would maybe more feasible (I think the GNC has such a feature, but I haven’t tried it).

EBTN, EBST, Belgium

Peter wrote:

I was saying the opposite; you won’t get the GNC for as little as 1.5k.

ok, i might have misunderstood here. I assumed the quote for the GNC was 4K +1K5 for installation.

EBTN, EBST, Belgium

TKM looks like a veeeeeery looooong wait

It is an enduring mystery why none of the existing players with VHF COM/NAV design technology have not made a KX155 slide-in replacement. It’s been a totally obvious low hanging fruit for 10-20 years. I guess everybody blindly followed the fashion of the day: “glass and more glass and nobody buying individual boxes”.

You might be right about 4k+1.5k. I just did a quick google on the GNC and saw 4k. Might even be plus VAT! However, advertising certified avionics without installation is tricky because if you buy it, the installer doesn’t make the trade margin so the installation will be more.

Also any installation will depend on the existing aircraft and its detailed condition.

Administrator

GarryIAE wrote:

the KX 165A is naturally an “easier install” if you already have a KX 155/165 although the KX 165A is only available in 28v.

Are there some KX165A model with Iso Amp option, so as to replace a KX155-39 installed without an audio panel?
If not one need to install an audio panel or go for a GNC255
Thank you

LFPE

This is a useful site for installation and maintenance manuals. I also have a vastly bigger collection myself on a private site.

I thought that every KX165A/8.33 (the -0201 option) had the speaker output.

I think an audio panel is highly desirable because you get a proper feed to each headset. The schemes where you wire multiple headsets to the back of the radio directly tend to not work so well especially if headset brands are mixed. It’s a common problem with flying school planes.

Administrator

Thank you Peter.
The IM from your link does not show any -0201 specific drawing. Maybe it is too old and you have a more recent one on your private site?
As for now, the TB9 is equipped with a KX155,a speaker an Intercom and 4 headsets but no audio panel.
I was told that it is not easily replaceable by a KX165A-0201 because of the missing “Iso Amp” option…
I thought I could have confirmed it by examining the KX165A specific schemes from the IM but I am not an expert at all……

Thomas

Last Edited by TomTom at 17 Apr 07:03
LFPE

I don’t have anything more recent.

It would be surprising if there was one much newer because HBK’s engineering capability was de facto shut down in the 2000-2003 time frame.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message