Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Led lighting (merged)

I have just ordered these – one green and one red, from Aircraft Spruce US.

WHELEN ORION 600 28V WINGTIP PTA GREEN OR6002G
Part# 11-11367
MFR Model# 01-0771733-11
$575.00/Each

WHELEN ORION 600 28V WINGTIP PTA RED OR6002R
Part# 11-11368
MFR Model# 01-0771733-12
$575.00/Each

Will report on the installation.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

They look quite flash too

Interestingly the strobes go out of sync very fast – within a minute. One would think it might be crystal controlled. The yellow wire syncs it, as it should. I will bench test them for a few days, because reinstalling the old ones would be a bastard.

Total (for both) steady state current is 0.34A (at 28V) and peaks at about 4A.

Administrator

These lights run really hot. I am measuring +65C at the base, at an ambient of +22C. Not hot enough to damage fibreglass (typical wingtip material, if not metal) but too hot to touch.

With a steady state (no strobe active) dissipation of 5W, very roughly half of the heat will be coming from the flashing portion.

Interesting how little activity there has been on this thread. I reckon most EASA-reg owners (more correctly, their CAMOs) are just too scared of the regulatory aspect. You can’t really hide these lights; the whole airport can see that “X-XXXX has done a modification” The landing / taxi light LED products are rare too.

Administrator

I had thought everyone was just fitting them when it came time to change. Then because they’re good and pretty reliable they’re kind of fit and forget. I did all my taxi and landing lights to led a few years ago and they’ve been great.

You can use CS-STAN to convert to LED so paperwork is pretty easy.

ESSZ, Sweden

Above link suggests there is more to it, or perhaps the process is not well understood.

Can you describe the exact procedure? Probably, lots of people would find it useful. It would be great to see a specimen document. The average Part M shop knows exactly nothing about CS-STAN.

Administrator

Yes, the form must be filled in. I am no Part-66 nor have I done one of these installations but if it is a “plug and play” installation the form should be fairly easy. The product manufacturer will provide installation instructions and ICA docs.

I might get the opportunity to be a part of an installation like this later this winter and can report back.

Last Edited by Fly310 at 07 Jan 07:20
ESSZ, Sweden

The landing/taxi lights do just replace the old bulbs. The exact dimensions may differ by say 1mm so some trimming of the mounting surface may be needed, however.

The wingtip lights also replace the old ones (apparently, reportedly, dimensionally, although I need to verify this and report) but the wiring is obviously different – at least at the lamp

Old:

New:

In some aircraft there may be a spare wire which can be utilised for the sync, and save the usually laborious task of running the wingtip-wingtip wire through. This depends on how the old strokes were wired. On the TB20 I can’t tell from the Socata wiring diagrams which are ambiguous “working drawings”, but will find out soon and report.

I reckon this will be beyond many shops and will need an “avionics” installer.

Is a load analysis required if you replace a load with a smaller load?

Administrator

Sebastian_G wrote:

On our PA46 we had a P36P2L LED landing light. And after about 3.5 years it apparently failed.

I take it all back actually the relay which drives the landing light failed. Unfortunately twice as expensive as a new LED light ;-)

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Had anyone actually installed the 100 Watt PAR36 Aeroled?
This looks to me like the ultimate solution

LSGG, LFEY, Switzerland
Sign in to add your message