Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Robin avionics upgrade thread (lack of STCs etc)

This is relevant. The situation is improving.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

That sounds like a tour de force (that’s the full extent of my French ) in paper generation.

Some EASA 21 DOA was extremely happy doing that job.

For 60k you could get an STC for a PT6 for a Robin… well maybe not but you get my drift

Administrator

According to the last Info Pilote (French flying magazine), a French club upgraded a Régent to a G500 Txi + GTN650 + GTX + G5 for 60K€.
No mention of the paperwork involved, nor of the shop that did the job.

LFOU, France

I’ve never understood how an avionics installation (assuming no autopilot connection) is required to have an STC, or be considered a major modification if its only taking power off an existing bus, requires no major structural mods and is presumably using TSO’d hardware. Maybe the latter is the issue? Garmin seemingly uses STCs as a way to manipulate/mandate use of their dealers for installation, but the FAA seems to go back and forth… Right now I’m aware of one avionics shop doing complete panel upgrades on nothing more than a logbook entry (i.e. a minor modification under FAA rules) and the local FAA FSDO is completely on board. It seems to me this is how it should be – I think changing the type certificate to install an appliance is a bit wacko, fundamentally.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 26 Apr 16:16

I am informed that the Robin STC for the Aspen never materialised.

Administrator

wigglyamp wrote:

Airplus have done the EASA STC for the Avidyne IFD in the Robin.

it seemed to me that they dealt with STC for Aspen: here

According to @Jesse they did this design

[ post edited to remove off topic stuff, yet again ]

LFCL, France

Indeed; that was mentioned in the link in my post above. Did they ever do an STC for the Aspen EFD or a GTN? Aspen were evidently supporting a Robin STC in 2016 – here and I believe the DOA mentioned there was Airplus.

Administrator

Airplus have done the EASA STC for the Avidyne IFD in the Robin.

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

I’ve come across this post which might be a useful data point. I don’t know the “German company” which wanted 1k for the use of their approval but it could be Straubing, and more recently Airplus at Friedrichshafen became known to be associated with some Robin STC work (not known whether they ever finished it).

Administrator

Correct – We did the initial G500 STC with GNS-W and then wrote the data for the TC change for the Robin factory for the G500/GTN for new-build and an SB for retrofit

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message