Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Avionics Data Cards (merged)

use the 430 and Skydemon for VFR flying in Europe. I use Skydemon for interpreting complex airspace and finding VFR waypoints and the 430 for actually flying.

You have just said exactly what I was about to say, as a mostly VFR pilot, who sometimes (not always) exercises his privileges of an IMC rating. I am presuming if not at least that the GNS430 has better GPS accuracy algorothms (RAIM ??) that an iPad or even one of the external GPS devices ? Though I will concede that the GPS device that also couples with GLONASS, is something the GNS430 doesnt have.

Lastly, the GNS430’s power is fully inegrated, and doesnt rely on a sometimes flimsy cigarette lighter adaptor, or external battery pack.

Given the choice of a GNS430 or a SkyDemon, by far the SkyDemon is the most useful bit of kit both for planning and navigating. Shame it cant feed the autopilot.

because my Garmin 430 is build into to plane, no need for kneeboard etc plus it more practical also in VFR for having radio freq. etc in stand by or active!!! my database is just a bit old and I confess I would like to spend as little as possible (so i can pay all my other flying related bills)

thanks

fly2000

at least that the GNS430 has better GPS accuracy algorothms (RAIM ??)

quite unlikely, and certainly not RAIM, RAIM just gives you some formally defined integrity monitoring, but no better accuracy in the normal case.

LSZK, Switzerland

why is it impossible to type “IR” followed by a “(” followed by an “R” followed by a “)”? If you do it comes out as IR.

I think that construct generates the registered trademark symbol, like ( C ) does the copyright symbol. It would be good to get this fixed because while some people want that, most on EuroGA probably don’t.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I think that construct generates the registered trademark symbol, like ( C ) does the copyright symbol. It would be good to get this fixed because while some people want that, most on EuroGA probably don’t.

That’s right. It’s the system trying to be helpful but EuroGA is a bit of an “edge case” and unlike most of our clients, pilots want to type (R) more often than they want (R).

We are in the final stages of testing an update to the forum software and it will be release soon. There are some nice new features but we’ve also made it configurable as to whether it does the conversion for (C) and (R) from (C) and (R). So for EuroGA we will turn it off.

In the meantime, Peter’s solution of putting in spaces works ( R ) but if you want it to look just so and don’t mind a bit of mild geekery, you can type (R) if you really want to display (R).

Bet you wished you’d never asked.

Administrator
EGTR / London, United Kingdom

Personally I think that HDG mode gives better results under VFR than coupling, as you are more likely to want to make tactical turns.

I agree, that is one reason GPSS is generally superior to any Nav tracking.

KUZA, United States

I am presuming if not at least that the GNS430 has better GPS accuracy algorothms (RAIM ??) that an iPad or even one of the external GPS devices ?

RAIM won’t provide any better GPS accuracy with the exception of FDE where an offending satellite is removed from the solution. However, an externally mounted antenna will see more of the sky in most aircraft and end up with a potentially more accurate position for a panel mount.

KUZA, United States

Good morning,

we just updated our GNS430 to Waas and got new coverage on our GNS530 so our Nav Data Cards are outdated.
Should you be interested we have 5 cards available.

BR

I’ll take one please Hubi

EGTT, The London FIR

It is important to specify the label colour. I can’t exactly remember why, but they are not cross compatible.

EGKB Biggin Hill
Sign in to add your message