Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Avionics Data Cards (merged)

430 i would need

fly2000

Sorry – I have a spare update but it is for a 430W

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

no, they are not locked, you can pull a card out of one device and insert it into another, and it will work.

Interesting – the updates for the GTN series are locked to your serial number.

EGEO

just to reconfirm i need 430/530 not 430/530 WAAS

fly2000

Interesting – the updates for the GTN series are locked to your serial number.

I assume the difference is the SD card which could be duplicated easily for the GTN series. The GNS uses proprietary storage which can not be easily copied and has to stay inserted in the GNS device during use.

Just to avoid confusion the GNS430/530 and GNS430W/530W use different data card which look similar but are not compatible.

When doing any database exchange etc. the key is to get hold of a spare data card. Those are expensive but when you pull the data card and send it of for some update your plane is usually grounded so this is no great solution.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

If you fly IFR, why use the 430 at all? It is very much orientated to IFR operation. Wouldn’t you be better off to use SkyDemon as your VFR GPS? (It is far, far better for VFR than the 430, for 101 different reasons.)

When you do convert to IFR, which is becoming increasingly easy with CB IR and EIR, not to mention IR[ R ] in the UK, then you will need to keep the 430 properly up to date in order to comply with the BRNAV/RNAV5/RNAV1 regulations in controlled airspace anyway.

Last Edited by Timothy at 08 Sep 10:11
EGKB Biggin Hill

Peter, why is it impossible to type “IR” followed by a “(” followed by an “R” followed by a “)”? If you do it comes out as IR(R).

EGKB Biggin Hill

If you fly IFR, why use the 430 at all? It is very much orientated to IFR operation. Wouldn’t you be better off to use SkyDemon as your VFR GPS?

[I assume you mean VFR]

Maybe because you can’t connect SkyDemon to the autopilot?
Or because a 430 doesn’t run out of batteries?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Personally I think that HDG mode gives better results under VFR than coupling, as you are more likely to want to make tactical turns.

iPads don’t run out of battery when plugged into the cigarette lighter (or better, as in my a/c, the built in USB socket.)

But certainly neither of those considerations trumps the fact that the 430 is a god-awful VFR GPS (yes, I did mean VFR, thank you!)

EGKB Biggin Hill

I use the 430 and Skydemon for VFR flying in Europe. I use Skydemon for interpreting complex airspace and finding VFR waypoints and the 430 for actually flying. Skydemon so far in about 250 Hrs has become permanently unusable in flight once every 20 hrs or so, 430 never in flight and once at start up in more than 10 yrs.

In the US, with similar times, Foreflight has never become unusable in flight and the KLN-94 panel mount GPS has failed temporarily several times, most notably at LAX when it didn’t like the waypoint VPLSR!. (Foreflight on the exact same iPad as Skydemon).

EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message