Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Static port plug for Socata TB series and 3D printing

Is anyone familiar with 3D printing software, such as Autodesk 123D, and could craft a design file for a static port plug. I tried a design with Google Sketchup but got quickly frustrated, due to my unfamiliarity with these type of software.

United States

SolidWorks is easy to learn to make simple things. It exports to STL suitable for 3D printing. Is the part complicated? Do you have dimensions?

EVCA

The static port plug is made of a flexible nylon type material. However it needs to be also tough because you don’t want a bit of it breaking off.

Somebody out there makes them, for next to nothing… it is an injection moulding.

I would be amazed if it could be 3D printed and used directly. Maybe if it was sintered?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

3D-printed parts can be enough tough. Actually, strength of the parts depends on 3d model developement, material quality (some ABS filaments from ebay are realy poor) and how it has been sliced (converted to machine g-code). 3D-printed part can realy be stronger than moulded.

Last Edited by pshz at 17 Apr 07:15
EVCA

I think the plugs I have (original Socata) are nylon. Not glass filled nylon; just straight nylon. They are bendy and need to be because the static vent hole goes upwards after the first 5mm or so (to stop rainwater getting in, presumably). But after they are bent they keep that shape.

I can get the dimensions of mine, after the weekend. It’s a very simple symmetrical shape which, in a different material, could be machined up on a lathe in 10 minutes.

Last Edited by Peter at 17 Apr 07:19
Administrator

I almost went down that path for a no longer available Cessna part (sourced from Chrysler) but one issue with ABS is that you are very limited in how you can coat/paint the surface.

Also I found it to be very difficult and time consuming to move from a CAD model to machine instructions. Hopefully this will become easier with better software for non professionals.

In this case I ended up going to one of the hundreds of milling/CNC companies in my neighborhood and had it done from a block of aluminum.

There are primers for ABS; also it can be plated with metals (if the surface finish is right).

How hard is it to print sintered metals? Apparently this is what is worrying the powers to be, because you can make a gun easily enough. However one needs a high temperature to fuse the stuff together (in conventional sintering).

I have a lathe and a turret mill (non CNC – both Wabeco… very expensive German stuff) so if anybody wants a simple part done, let me know.

Last Edited by Peter at 17 Apr 07:48
Administrator

Here’s photo of my painted 3D parts:

I still have some issues with printing quality and not enogh experience in painting, but, using primer before paining gives satisfactory results.

EVCA

Are you going to put them in your Lycoming to drive the camshaft?

No, just for cockpit-building hobby ))

EVCA
59 Posts
Sign in to add your message