Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

TKS ice protection for a TB20

I’d ask Gomolzig Siegerland, Mr. Schmeck, the local head, is a former Socata Germany mechanic. He knows the planes inside out and is one of the fairest mechanics I have met. My plane is there for the annual. I’d recommend him anytime.

LSZH

Ouch That is steep. I had mine installed for $25,000 on my C210. A great system even with a 7 kt speed loss. Makes flying in Europe much more practical.

KHTO, LHTL

C210_Flyer, I am puzzled by that 7 kt speed loss. I know for a fact that there is no speed loss on the DA42.
Have you been able to do extensive measurements?

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

C210_Flyer wrote:

I had mine installed for $25,000 on my C210.

Come on C210 Flyer, full disclosure : that was how many years ago ?

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

I am surprised that the TKS is far better than boots?

The whole kit is under $25k, plus shipping and VAT.

Delivery time is about 6 months.

Then somebody has to install it. I have one quote of GBP 10k plus VAT, based on 250 man hours.

Performance is much better than boots but has various negatives e.g. messy, limited duration, heavy.

The worst for me is the potential for a bodge job. I have had to sort out some huge bodge jobs e.g. my TAS605 install – writeup on my website. And I am not mentioning the company name; they recently threatened me. This job is so big that if it gets bodged the plane will be good only for controller.com

I now have the plane in a 100% condition and can depend on it.

I would not consider it unless I could supervise it closely.

There is also an issue with mounting the controller unit. I dont have room. And the controller is not serviceable (despite being trivial functionally) and could well cost say 10k.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

When you say performance is much better than boots, are boots an option (I am assuming not) and are you comparing TKS against boots on a TB20 or in general.

In my limited experience TKS is not messy unless you run the pump on the ground or up until landing. Then it continues seeping for a while and does not get blown off.

LFPT, LFPN

@Peter – Why don’t you start wit the TKS prop ?

The TKS prop is interesting in that it not only protects the prop but also some added protection for the air inlets and windshield.

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Michael wrote:

@Peter – Why don’t you start wit the TKS prop ?

Umm, Peter already has TKS prop …

Slovakia
Sign in to add your message