Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

TKS ice protection for a TB20

Excellent news !
So you have ordered the kit directly in the US ?
Would you mind to share the cost of the kit ? (or PM ?)
And so I guess, you have identified a person you trust for the set up, and has the qualification to sign it. How long time do you account for the installation ?
Will your propeller TKS be stripped out or maintained independently from the airframe deice system ?

Anyway, I am very impressed you dare it, and all the more “at home” for such a surgery. I pull my hat down.

$23k ex USA.

Installation will be done by my trusted and very good A&P/IA, in a rented hangar not far away (no significant work is possible at my base) and with my help here and there.

The only tricky bit is the installation of the panels. The rest is beyond many GA maintenance people but is only standard metal working techniques.

It should take 4-6 weeks.

The prop TKS parts will be re-used. I will lose the separate 2 litre fluid container, and if the work is done IAW the STC I will not have the option of running prop only TKS alone.

I do know of another installer in the UK who has done the TB installs before but communication with him is fraught (which is true for many people, not just in GA, and for me rules out any serious work) and his base is too far away for me to pop up periodically. That would also be true for EDNY, with no practical airline option anymore.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Hi Peter,
I am a new kid on the block. I have a Tb20, SN/578, 14V system, and looking for prop deice solution. I just went though the topic, find very useful. My TB has Hartzell 3 blade prop now. I am just wondering, if I can add deice parts to my prop and install a TKS prop deice system . Or shall I replace the whole prop?It has still lot of time in the prop. I tried to mail to Hartzell, but no response from them so far. MT offers nice new prop with deice option for 11K, but the system itself is my problem, must get from somewhere.
The place you have ordered your system from, do they sell prop kit only as well?
Thansk

Kind regards
Zsolt

Zsolt Szüle
LHTL, Hungary

I am sending you the CAV contact details, @Zsoszu

I definitely know of people who bought the prop-only TKS but I also recall they had huge hassles, initially trying to buy it via Socata who are less than really interested in selling stuff these days (apart from TBMs) and their “distributors” know exactly nothing. OTOH I cannot see why anybody would buy anything via Socata which they can buy direct – even if the price is the same…

Forget Hartzell.

The TB prop from MT has a bit of a history; very few installs in Europe and I’ve heard reports of a lack of interest from MT. But that may not be current info. Does the 11k option include the TKS container, all the metalwork, and a mod kit for the upper cowling to access the top of the filler tube? Actually the last bit may have to come from Socata. I believe @Paul and @RXH may know. Also there are threads here e.g. this one – do a search on e.g.

MT AND prop AND TB20

(uppercase AND)

The 3B Hartzell prop is the same with or without TKS but the backplate (the bit the spinner screws to) is different.

It’s not a dirt cheap option – slightly into four figures I believe – but really transforms the capability of the aircraft because even with a bit of ice you still get whatever full engine power is to be had.

Administrator

@zsoszu

Hi Zsolt,

I am currently travelling. Will drop you a note to the e-mail mentioned in your profile early next week.

RXH
EDML - Landshut, Munich / Bavaria

Thanks a lot )
Zs.

Zsolt Szüle
LHTL, Hungary

Here is Socata to me about the prop deice STC on ( MT or HZ) 3 blade propane two mails.

Dear Sir

I am afraid I have only bad news for you.

We have never developed a retrofit for the 3 blades propeller de-ice system. We have sold some on new aircraft by the way for the TB GT series, the last one manufactured before we stopped production.

Concerning the T/O weight increase, we cannot supply anymore the kit needed because we are currently running a parts obsolescence.

Sorry for such an answer,

Best regards

Zsolt Szüle
LHTL, Hungary

We have never developed a retrofit for the 3 blades propeller de-ice system

That is not a meaningful response because if you simply bought the prop TKS parts you could install them, under the privileges of the TB20 Type Certificate. A logbook signoff only, no Major Alteration.

That’s unless there is a limitation by airframe S/N, as there is for example for the dual GNS installation (that has caught a few people wanting to install 2×GNS).

if the aircraft is not N registered no possibility of de-ice system on both airframe or propeller

Is that response from Socata? There are both GT and pre-GT TB20s with full TKS. @Paul has a G-reg pre-GT one, for example – here

Administrator

@Peter,
Did you receive your TKS kit from the US ?

Have I posted a pic of the parts spread on the living room floor at home?

The delivery date I have currently is mid Jan….. anyway I will commence the Annual end of Jan regardless and if the stuff has not arrived I will postpone the TKS till the following winter. Possibly I might do some of the work anyway e.g. the refill door installation which is quite a complicated job (if I can get a part shipment).

One thing I plan to do is to replace the plastic hoses with braided teflon ones (the TKS pipework is like the hoses on a Lancair or Eurofox kit ) but you can’t do that until you know the exact final length because while the plastic ones are cut to length at installation time, the proper hoses have swaged fittings.

I had a close look at a TB20 TKS yesterday and cannot see how there can possibly be the slightest speed loss – provided the sealant fillet is done exactly right so the leading edge curve is maintained.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message