Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Electronic ignition for D3000 single shaft dual magneto engines

I emailed the emag guys and they said they are currently prototyping the experimental 4 cylinder D3000 replacement. So I guess 6 cylinder comes after that then perhaps certification. Probably 5 years away at least I would guess.

United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

One wonders why self powered EI products seemingly can’t get certified.

I’ve checked and at least the certified Rotax 912 S has dual independently powered electronic ignition. But I guess this ignition system isn’t certified separately but as part of a package with the engine.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

One wonders why self powered EI products seemingly can’t get certified.

Prob99 anybody who actually knows isn’t going to post the answer because they make a living developing STCs. But I would suspect it is along the lines of achieving certification with a lot less effort. It is like an STC for installing a specific GPS which mandates the carriage of an ADF or a 3rd radio as a route to achieving a required level demonstrated redundancy (such reasoning was actually used in one STC; it was posted here years ago) despite this appearing to be totally bizzare. Or, like the BT guy installing fibre to my house last week who was required to wear special protective gear because the fibre attachment was more than 1.8m above the ground. We live in a world of weird rules and weird people who abide by these rules with a full implementation of Stockholm Syndrome

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

eurogaguest1980 wrote:

Not sure, but I know that’s what my 1970s motorcycles used – pretty bulletproof.

It’s not really bulletproof, but it happens predictively and can be changed easily. But many users of the UL world swap them for EFI, with better performance at the price of a supplementary backup battery.

LFMD, France

Airborne_Again wrote:

Isn’t that what Rotax engines use…?

Not sure, but I know that’s what my 1970s motorcycles used – pretty bulletproof.

In my RV8, I’ve got the emagair pmags with the built-in generator. It changes spark advance based on RPM and MP, and uses auto plugs, which are about 10% the price of aviation spark plugs.

I’d say the future is to have a reliable electrical system, and have fuel injection and ignition like the car guys do it. This is what SDS does. http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

Peter wrote:

They have a purpose-built electronic ignition, mated with a built-in permanent magnet alternator.

Isn’t that what Rotax engines use…?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

They have a purpose-built electronic ignition, mated with a built-in permanent magnet alternator.

Gosh, it has taken the geniuses in the GA industry only a couple of hundred years to work out that this can be done, but they can’t patent it because I posted it here about 10 years ago

Of course, but they can just provide the paper, which is at least something, better than nothing?

The STC is the property of ENAC presumably, so if you can’t get a permission out of them, you are out of luck. Personally I think most of this “STC permission” stuff stinks because frankly most STCs are just repackaged prior art or prior approvals, repackaged pages from the backs of installation manuals, etc…

Administrator

I’d probably wait for these to be certified: https://emagair.com/

They come with an internal mini alternator. So you could replace both mags (or D3000) with these and have an independent power source.

United Kingdom

Of course, but they can just provide the paper, which is at least something, better than nothing?

LFMD, France

So somehow ENAC pushed an STC through EASA (for their own TB10 fleet?) but nobody else can make use of this STC?

That is just weird.

Administrator
48 Posts
Sign in to add your message