Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

The very best optional aircraft add-ons

For me, it must be propeller de-ice (TKS).

The factory option cost was a few k in 2002, though recent reports suggest it would now cost far more (over 10k) to buy the kit, because parts come from CAV who basically rip overybody off these days.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

For me it has to be the GPS, a proper integrated one like the GNS* type.

Then in no particular order it would be:
3-axis AP, currently I have just a 2-axis AP
Updated Audio/Com panel
Wheel pants for a bit of extra speed

Personally, I’d like to upgrade from an Archer II to an Arrow II, something with reractable gear, injection system and constant speed prop. Then if I had all that, de-ice would be nice.

What would you need a 3 axis autopilot for on a light aircraft? A good 2 axis autopilot properly interfaced with the nav source will fly down an ILS.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Not sure if “3 axis” is always meant the same way.

In light GA you have roll, pitch and pitch trim.

Yaw damping is separate, if you have it.

But yes I agree an autopilot is the best piece of avionics ever.

Administrator

OK I misunderstood the meaning; I thought 3 axis meant the 3 control axes of Pitch Roll and Yaw.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

an Ipad which changes any old hangar queen to a glass cockpit. Definitely the best bang per buck

of course I would want TKS (expensive) and retractable gear (would have to go back to pre-war technology for that ;) )

Last Edited by mrfacts at 22 May 10:48
EDLN and EDKB

Not sure if “3 axis” is always meant the same way.

Probably my poor definition. I actually want a 2-axis AP. Mine will do roll and keep a heading, aligned with the OBS, but it doesnt do pitch or altitude. For some reason I thought mine was a 2-axis AP, and the one that did pitch and altitude was a 3-axis.

I have no idea what “3-axis” means either, even though it is a frequently used term.

Altitude hold is just an extra feature, if you have pitch control.

There are autopilots which have a pitch servo but no pitch trim servo (bizzare, and a recipe for disaster if it drops out) and there are autopilots which have a pitch trim servo (which they use to pitch-control the plane – as apparently happens in a Cirrus) and no pitch servo (which does work, but you are likely to get a poor transient performance).

Administrator

I have no idea what “3-axis” means either, even though it is a frequently used term.

The people who “frequently” use this term have no idea either

And regarding the original question: That very much depends on the aircraft category and what the basic equipment looks like. If it was a Boeing Business Jet, my most important add-on would probably be a Double-Platinum company credit card.

EDDS - Stuttgart

3-axis autopilot is autopilot controlling roll, pitch and yaw. I believe GFC700 in DA42 has this feature.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia
37 Posts
Sign in to add your message