Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Another interesting vacuum system replacement

RCA2600 solid state AI

A “certified” 6 hour battery

It’s not clear what the cost is for replacing the battery. Some ELT batteries are very expensive. But so is a vac pump – some $400 (for a good quality one) every few years.

Also removing the vac pump opens up the way to a B&C backup alternator.

The people who can’t do this are those with the KI256-driven King autopilot. Their options are

• Aspen+EA100
  • G500+GAD43 / G600
  • the Castleberry KI256-lookalike electric AI (TSOd, but not STCd for this job)
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I flagged this up on the Vac system replacement thread but it seems a bit of re-branding has gone on !

I have just found that – you are right.

However Kelly don’t obviously mention that “6 hour” battery option, without which this is useless on a single alternator aircraft because if you get an alternator failure in IMC you need to look for an airport ASAP. And if the OAT is say -10C and there is IMC below, you are looking at a nice journey down with plenty of ice waiting for you

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

this looks nice

http://www.sandia.aero/?q=node/80

EBST

When I installed my Aspens i went all electric and installed the RC Allen and it works fine. Be aware that there is an old version and a new version.. The last is much better and requires less depth.

The Sandia is being released now.. Looking at that price of usd 3.595.- I find it an encredible device.

5 Posts
Sign in to add your message