Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

GTN650 installation considerations

Is there a KN72 between the KX-155A NAV/COM and the HSI KI 525A?

If so, should the KN72 be removed when the KX155A is replaced by a GTN650?

ESTL

Anders………..yes it should be removed

Is there a KN72 between the KX-155A NAV/COM and the HSI KI 525A?

Prob99 there will be a KN72

The KX165/165A contains the functionality internally.

The GTN650 does also.

Removing the KN72 may involve a bit more rewiring but is well worth it. It’s an unreliable piece of junk – see the above link.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The flag circuit of the KN72 is indeed, um, interesting.

LSZK, Switzerland

Interesting indeed

To think how much public transport has gone on with this sort of stuff…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Having looked at the GTN750 I think it is too big to be put into the panel space available in my aircraft but I also agree with Peter that the GTN650 display is rather small for its function however if integrated with a G500 or Aspen display it is a perfectly good control head.

the GTN650 display is rather small

use your finger. In practice I don’t think it’s a big problem, because you can very conveniently and quickly pan (and zoom) the display. Unlike, say, the 430(W), where panning and zooming is a major PITA.

LSZK, Switzerland

In practice I don’t think it’s a big problem, because you can very conveniently

I agree. Having flown with one for about 200 hours it is more capable than it appears. Playing with one for 5 minutes at a trade show is not enough to give you a good view of its usability in real flight.

EGTK Oxford

My club has recently installed the VFR version of a GTN650 in one of our planes. I have now made my first flight on it and noticed that the CDI 1 is only slaved to the VLOC navigation of the GTN. It doesn’t matter if you select VLOC or GPS as the CDI source on the GTN, the CDI will always display the VOR navigation information.

Can anyone tell me if this is an installation problem and what would be needed to correct it?

Seems they connected the CDI to VOR/LOC LEFT/RIGHT (P1004 5/6) instead of MAIN LATERAL LEFT/RIGHT (P1001 49/68)

LSZK, Switzerland
Sign in to add your message