Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ADL / Golze satellite weather system

I agree; I was pulling Sebastian’s leg

The scenarios where one can speed things up a lot are where one takes a cunning look at the whole algorithm and codes it to fit wholly into CPU registers, and exploits various side effects of instructions. I have seen some amazing code for DES encryption/decryption, data compression, etc, on the 80×86 (486+) family.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

For those who always wanted to start using in flight weather but did not go ahead because of the price. Currently I have a few pre owned ADL120 and ADL140 for sale. With all the effort we put into making those it would be a shame to leave them unused: http://www.ing-golze.de/blog_pre_owned.jsp

Also quite unusual thunderstorm activity in Southern Europe still this late in the year. Below a full sized thunderstorm I saw a few days ago:

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Sebastian_G wrote:

Also quite unusual thunderstorm activity in Southern Europe still this late in the year.

Oh, you should’ve seen what I left behind me on Mallorca the other day that was thunderstorm. It looked beautiful on ADL from 200 miles distance.

Last Edited by Emir at 11 Oct 19:47
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

The ADL is a really great product and I am happy to have it, even though the monthly cost is similar to what I pay for the GPS (KLN94) database update

I do wish the app was slicker though. On a phone you can’t do much, but with a tablet you could have a section of the screen dedicated to tafs and metars, with them getting updated as and when you do a download, so you don’t have to scroll down the taf/metar list and find the one you want.

Administrator

I am interested by this product, it seems great !
About the subscription, how do you proceed guys ?
I fly as soon as i can, but unfortunately no more that 4 times a month (not already retired, and a bit busy…).
So how does it work ? If I subscribe a “Plan A frequent flyer subscription” I can understand each time I crank my TCM to fly with, I can get weather information through Iridium all over the flight. I don’t understand the difference with “Plan B seasonal flyer”, same price, half twice downloads with only 3 months commitments.
What about trip kit 1 day ? Does it mean that each time I’m intending to fly I ’ll have to phone or mail to charge my credit card and get a credit to get the weather along on my trip ? What, from your experience seams more efficient ?

LFRN, France

Very happy to see that they also have an Android app. I understand it is identical with the iphone app and can do all of it?

how is that app working on a phone if there is normal internet contact? Will it allow downloads pre-flight using WIFI or 4G/LTE based on the phone or tablet? I have a DWD account.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Mooney_Driver wrote:

how is that app working on a phone if there is normal internet contact? Will it allow downloads pre-flight using WIFI or 4G/LTE based on the phone or tablet?
Yes.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Arty wrote:

What about trip kit 1 day ? Does it mean that each time I’m intending to fly I ’ll have to phone or mail to charge my credit card and get a credit to get the weather along on my trip ? What, from your experience seams more efficient ?

Just go to their website and activate the tripkit you want to have.

EDMA, Germany

I have been using the Golze android app for some months, since I installed the ADL150. It works fine on both my Samsung S7 phone and the T705 tablet. It is better on the tablet of course because you can see more and the user interface is displayed differently.

I think the IOS version works more smoothly (read further back up this thread for more details and performance comparisons) but it doesn’t make any practical difference.

Both apps are considered quite clunky by most users even though the really big fans will never post this but they do the job.

It is a great product which delivers real value to flying, especially IFR.

I have not bothered to suspect my sub during low months because I routinely use it for tafs and metars, so I just pay the €39/month. 3G/4G is just too intermittent in Europe once you get above a few k feet and often there is no connectivity at all over an entire country e.g. France or Belgium (Vodafone contract).

Administrator

Someone asked me if there is any way to display the Golze ADL data on a panel mounted (certified) device.

The only way I see is this:

Rig up a normal Golze client (IOS or Android are the only current options) which (via some adapter) can produce a VGA (15 pin analog) video output. Then use a standard VGA to NTSC video converter (peanuts on Ebay) and feed the NTSC video to a device which can display NTSC radar data. The old KMD550 can do it (I know because I have done it) and I believe some old Avidyne MFDs can do NTSC radar also. @AdamFrisch might know more…

A variation would be an adaptor which outputs HDMI video, and then go HDMI to NTSC. I am pretty sure Apple and Android tablets/phones can be made to output HDMI video.

You will have no user interaction; the buttons and the keypad are of course still on the tablet or phone This method would just give you a display (the weather and the aircraft position) which is right in front of you so you don’t have to fiddle with the tablet or phone while flying.

Of course Sebastian could implement a suitable interface in his box e.g. to generate NTSC or even emit ARINC429 radar data. That would be legal to do. What might be declared illegal (by someone really picky) is the connection to the display device, which is not shown in the device’s IM. On that basis, feeding in NTSC is illegal too, however

I don’t think any GNS or GTN box can display graphics, can it? Can’t a GTN750 display radar?? I vaguely recall radar is an option on the IFD boxes. Of course this is known, by someone in the avionics business.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message