Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ADL / Golze satellite weather system

I would expect ADL to have better data because the product is developed in Europe by a pilot who flies in Europe and knows how the game works over here. Whereas I would expect Garmin to be using its US based servers which most likely collect data from US sources primarily.

Garmin would not be interested in supporting a hardware product which would prevent them selling their own ~20x more expensive hardware product

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Is is theoretically possible for Garmin Pilot (or ForeFlight etc) to use ADL in their app?

It is possible but such cooperations for a European niche product like the ADL system are very hard to work out. From the technical side it is a piece of cake.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Here is a piece of a screenshot from the android app. I had a strong signal the whole time there. Sometimes it takes a minute longer.

I remember that at the beginning, downloads could take few minutes (3 minutes, which is quite long).
Now it is much faster (by a factor at least).

Thanks for the replies.
I suspected that. Ok how about simulating some other hardware. Such as Stratus ADB-B Receiver which i think ForeFlight supports?

(Since FF supports Europe now)

Last Edited by Jonas at 20 Dec 15:10
ESOW Västerås, Sweden

Well… on a rooted android or IOS device you could install an emulator on the comms channel which picks up the Garmin server queries and remaps them onto the ADL server queries, and then translates the stuff in reverse. You would need to reverse engineer the Garmin comms protocol – again possible on a rooted device.

Garmin Pilot doesn’t exist for android in Europe, which adds additional hassle.

Apart from the above, it’s trivial

Administrator

FWIW Garmin Pilot is available on Android devices in Poland. I’d expect it to be available, as Garmin promised, elsewhere in Europe as well.

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

I have ADL on one aircraft and Garmin Connext weather on the other.

One works perfectly, the other (although in theory far better integrated into GTN, G600 and Garmin Pilot) has never worked, despite Garmin European Support and I spending a massive amount of time and effort trying to make it do so.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Sebastian_G wrote:

It is possible but such cooperations for a European niche product like the ADL system are very hard to work out. From the technical side it is a piece of cake.

One way to let ForeFlight know there is an interest would be to have everyone here send ForeFlight a short message ([email protected]) requesting that they add support, including a link to the Golze product overview page. I’ve done so and they replied that they’ve tallied my vote for it. If one were to indicate at the same time that Garmin Pilot has no interest, it could also be seen as a differentiator.

LSZK, Switzerland

Thanks! Good idea! I just mailed ForeFlight!
Jonas

ESOW Västerås, Sweden

GSR56 posts moved here

Administrator
Sign in to add your message