Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ADL / Golze satellite weather system

I am pleased to confirm the latest version of the android ADL app works with FPL IN, and the latest firmware of the ADL150 also supports the KLN94 GPS data stream.

The above pic shows almost no iridium signal but that has been sorted also. I am using a rooftop Antcom (expensive!) antenna and a piece of RF cable which I made up had a break in it

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

There is now the ADL200 which appears to fall back on 3G/4G when you are within GSM reception.

The monthly sub is the same as the ADL150 (€40) so they appear to absorb the SIM card subscription within that. This may not be too much; at work we have a 3G backup for ADSL (highly desirable in UK countryside!) which costs us £3/month.

I have found 4G works well around the Alps and is highly variable elsewhere, not working at all in most of Europe at say FL100 or above.

Also you need several antennae – I am not sure if there is a rooftop solution anymore which is practical. I connected my ADL150 to a rooftop antenna which was installed about 10 years previously and this works well.

It does GDL90 over WIFI so may display the weather in Garmin Pilot or Foreflight perhaps? If these apps are all that’s needed to display the wx, that will be a bonus because you don’t want to run two moving map tablet apps…

Maybe @Sebastian_G can post more info.

Administrator

Interesting. Can you run this as a portable device, with a cigarette lighter power cable/power bank?

ESOW Västerås, Sweden
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

OK, so you still run the Golze app to config what wx etc you want to see, and the box emulates the GDL90 WIFI access point and protocol.

Can you run this as a portable device, with a cigarette lighter power cable/power bank?

Yes. Just make sure the velcro came with an EASA-1 form

You need to locate the antenna(e) where it/they can see enough of the sky. Perhaps surprisingly I get a pretty good signal in a steel hangar with a fibreglass or “asbestos” roof, though that is using my rooftop antenna.

Administrator

Thanks!

Does ForeFlight or Garmin Pilot support GDL90?

ESOW Västerås, Sweden

I have alays had good luck with the ADL Iridium antenna being on the glareshield. The ADS-B antenna can sit sort of anywhere inside as it doesnt really need line of sight like Iridium. I have mine (for the stratus) on the divider behind my seat. I assume LTE antenna on glareshield also works.

EGTK Oxford

I will try to answer a few of the questions:

> ADL200… Can you run this as a portable device, with a cigarette lighter power cable/power bank?

Yes that will work but in reality it will be a kind of semi permanent installation due to the antennas. You will need two or three antennas. First the one for Iridium on the glareshield or if available on the outside of the hull. Then you will need a second antenna for ADS-B 1090ES. In my experience that one is best located somewhere on the border of the windshield. If available an external transponder antenna would obviously be best. Finally the 4G antenna. The ADL200 contains a small internal antenna for 4G but that will only work in places with good reception. The next best antenna is a small antenna on the corner of the windshield or a side window. Finally the gold plated solution would be an external antenna on the bottom of the aircraft. But the LTE/4G is all about saving a part of the satellite charges so spending thousands on an 4G antenna installation would not make much sense…

In fact I realized that currently a big number of satellite downloads are actually done on the ground when the aircraft is rolling to the runway etc. And on top the first download of the flight will be the biggest due to data compression. With the ADL200 this can be done using LTE/4G. Then in flight the reception will vary a lot depending on aircraft type, altitude and geographic region.

> SIM card subscription

Yes that is included in the monthly subscription price. I also have special SIM cards which work with most available networks. 4G/LTE downloads will be free of additional charges. I will just have to introduce some fair use limit which will be something like 500 downloads a month.

The only limitation is that I can not offer the short duration trip kits for the ADL200 as I can not activate / deactivate the SIM cards as fast as I can for the Iridium service.

> GDL90

As Peter writes the ADLConnect app is used to configure and start the weather download(s). Then you can open SkyDemon and it will display the radar data, ownship position and traffic. That feature (excluding traffic) is also available for all existing ADL140/150 if the firmware is upgraded to the latest version 8.00
Unfortunately I don’t see a way to upgrade the ADL110B/120/130 devices in that way. The device itself will not be able to provide the GDL90. The only solution would be to run the ADLConnect app in the background of the iPad and then broadcast the GDL90 from there. But that comes with a new number of challenges as Apple would have to approve that the app runs continuously in the background etc.

> Does ForeFlight or Garmin Pilot support GDL90?

So far I did only test SkyDemon but from what I read ForeFlight should also work while Garmin Pilot will probably not work.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

That feature (excluding traffic) is also available for all existing ADL140/150 if the firmware is upgraded to the latest version 8.00

That is excellent! I believe v8 can also be uploaded to the ADL from the phone app – correct? But in any case the laptop upload (via USB) is dead easy.

I plan to have a look at Foreflight at some point.

Administrator

Interesting indeed!

On the website I read:
Backup attitude display using integrated AHRS (non cerified)

I might be overlooking this, but where is the AHRS information visualized?

hfl
EHLE, Netherlands
Sign in to add your message