Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ADL / Golze satellite weather system

Does the android app do this too? (I am staying with my ADL150 – just curious )

Yes it does:

Since the AHRS looks like it is sensing the gravity vector too, the box will have to be carefully mounted, with the aircraft jacked up, levelled, etc.

As the ADL200 was designed as a plug in replacement for the ADL150 that was not an option. It can be mounted in any orientation and then while flying the pilot has to press two calibration buttons in the app. This senses the gravity vector and determines the orientation of the box relative to the airframe.

The speed must be GPS GS and the altitude must be GPS altitude.

Yes the speed is GPS ground speed. The altitude is GPS altitude unless the ADSB receives an ownship signal. Then it will display the barometric ADSB altitude.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Sebastian_G wrote:

The altitude is GPS altitude unless the ADSB receives an ownship signal. Then it will display the barometric ADSB altitude.

Don’t you mean ADSB FL? I wasn’t aware that (ownship) ADS-B transmitted (or even knows) barometric altitude.

BTW, ADL-200 is really a super enhancement, as is the continued update of functionality on the ADL-150…… congratulations and many thanks Sebastian. Looking forward to seeing a guide on the web site.

Last Edited by chflyer at 11 Apr 20:41
LSZK, Switzerland

Don’t you mean ADSB FL? I wasn’t aware that (ownship) ADS-B transmitted (or even knows) barometric altitude.

Yes ADSB / 1090ES usually transmits values relative to the 1013 plane in 25ft steps (sometimes only 100ft). So it is kind of a FL but the values are more precise. The problem is there is no real convention how to call that kind of data: FL31.75 or 3175 ft…

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

In Europe, certified ADS-B OUT is not possible without a Mode S transponder, and that has a static connection (or external encoder input – are there any such Mode S transponders?) so it knows the pressure altitude and this gets radiated, along with the GPS altitude (and it needs a WAAS GPS anyway).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

(or external encoder input – are there any such Mode S transponders?

The popular and ADS-B out capable Trig TT31 (also rebranded HonywellBendixKing KT74) has an encoder input and no static connection.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Yes, of course, and so has my GTX330 That gets it from the KEA130A encoding altimeter.

Administrator

Sebastian_G wrote:

The problem is there is no real convention how to call that kind of data: FL31.75 or 3175 ft…

Maybe you can replace the “ADSB” by “STD” so that it is clearer it is relative to 1013hPa or allow people to click on it and set a QNH

Nympsfield, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

In Europe, certified ADS-B OUT is not possible without a Mode S transponder,

That’s not completly correct for G-reg. You can have a CAP1391 transceiver. There are devices from uAvionics and funke listed on http://www.caa.co.uk/General-aviation/Aircraft-ownership-and-maintenance/Electronic-Conspicuity-devices/ and uAvionics has a new model coming out “before the summer”

(and it needs a WAAS GPS anyway).

If you want a SIL greater than 0, else you can plug a COTS GPS to it if the GPS and transponder speak the same format, most likely NMEA. This was originally done as a trial by the UK CAA and the UK LAA but I see now it is in CS-STAN so available for all EASA a/c.

Nympsfield, United Kingdom

I see on the App Store that ADLConnect currently has insufficient reviews or ratings to display a score or summary.
Surely the least we can do by way of thanks to Sebastian is to give the app an appropriate number of stars?

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

A great idea! I have done a review; only the 2nd one for the android app since 2015.

I suspect the explanation for the small number of reviews is that you cannot write them on a PC unless you have the google app shop login configured on there (which would generally be pointless) and the route to writing them on the phone (on which you must have the google app shop login otherwise you cannot install any apps – same as on the Iphone) is too obscure.

@Xtophe if you can enumerate the exact low cost hardware which would make the aircraft visible on a certified TCAS/TAWS installation which has the ADS-B IN (basically Garmin, or Avidyne if/when they get around to doing it) that would be interesting.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message