Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ADL / Golze satellite weather system (merged)

The IFD comes out of the box defaulting as an access point. It can definitely support multiple clients because FF and the IFD100 app run concurrently on different devices (note: IFD100 is an app that is like a 2nd screen for the panel mount ….. sometimes on a big ipad pro ). But it can also be configured as a client to another access point (e.g. ADL or Stratus or ….).

Good question about whether the ADL can support multiple clients.

(thread creep: a few “cheapskates” have installed the small format IFD440 and use the IFD100 to get the IFD540 panel real estate without paying the 540 price …. especially useful in small homebuilts with limited panel space)

Last Edited by chflyer at 27 Mar 17:56
LSZK, Switzerland

@Sebastian_G will know more but I recall reading something that the #of clients was ADL product dependent.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

MikeWhiskey wrote:

In that context a question on ADL, as it seems a lot of users of euroga have subscribed there. Is there also a portable solution (from a first glance these boxes rather look like fixed solutions)?

Currently we do not have a battery powered option. But if you have a cigarette lighter socket or any other power source you can use the ADL140 as a portable solution:
http://www.ing-golze.de/products_adl140.jsp

The Iridium GO! would be a fully battery powered solution. It is even superior to the ADL devices regarding download speed but that comes at a substancial higher annual cost:
http://www.ing-golze.de/products_iridiumgo.jsp

And if yes, is it possible to overlay their weather information on Skydemon?

Yes, some details here:

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

@Sebastian_G – thank you for the details! I will have a look at the 140 then…

Zurich area, Switzerland

I am trying to source a power bank that can output the required 7-36V, 5W to the ADL cigarette plug. That way I can use the aircraft cigarette lighter jack for normal power and still have a backup source should I feel the need to disconnect it (e.g. alternator failure). That would keep the AHRS operational, just in case …

I have a BatteryGeeks power bank that seems to meet the need but cannot find a cigarette lighter jack with a connector that matches one of the the 25 power bank output plugs. I’m looking for something like this:

LSZK, Switzerland

Sebastian_G wrote:

The Iridium GO! would be a fully battery powered solution. It is even superior to the ADL devices regarding download speed but that comes at a substancial higher annual cost:
http://www.ing-golze.de/products_iridiumgo.jsp

In practice however they don’t work. Theoretically faster, but practically useless IMHO.

For clarity I mean for anything beyond the ADL software. Speed is not a prob with ADL devices so I don’t see much point buying an IG to run it.

Last Edited by JasonC at 22 May 14:31
EGTK Oxford

@chflyer I can’t see what either end of that cable looks like.

Are you trying to go from a power unit which outputs say 12V DC to a female cigar lighter socket? The best way may be to make up a custom cable. But you have to be careful because some of those multi output power modules have a resistor inside each adaptor plug and the value of that resistor sets the output voltage.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

chflyer wrote:

I have a BatteryGeeks power bank that seems to meet the need but cannot find a cigarette lighter jack with a connector that matches one of the the 25 power bank output plugs.

http://www.thebatterygeeks.com/product-p/pf-cla.htm sounds like what you would want?

Last Edited by lionel at 22 May 16:46
ELLX

chflyer wrote:

I am trying to source a power bank that can output the required 7-36V, 5W to the ADL cigarette plug.

I suggest not to go via a cigarette lighter socket. Put a round ADL connector directly on the cable that comes from the power bank. That is what we do here if a customer asks for a power bank solution. The connector is called RKMCK4:
https://www.reichelt.de/m8-kupplung-4-polig-schraubverschluss-rkmck-4-p112395.html?&trstct=pos_0

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Thanks for reminding me of that, Sebastian.

In fact, I did order one of those connectors when I ordered the ADL, with the long-term intent to wire the ADL into the a/c electrical system. I have since had 2nd thoughts about that. But I do have a Sporty’s power bank with 20’000 mAh capacity and 4x USB output ports as follows:

I’ve just ordered USB-C and USB-A cables with open wires from Reichelt and will attach the RKMCK4 to one of them. I believe it should work on either the USB output Type-C port or USB output A3. Both appear to support 6-9V/2A or 9-12V/1.5A.

Using the BatteryGeek on a permanent basis will be less than optimal due to the need for the additional 220V power supply & cable for recharging “on the road”. So if the above works, it will be the best solution.

LSZK, Switzerland
Sign in to add your message