Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ADL / Golze satellite weather system

PetitCessnaVoyageur wrote:

Also, on the return flight, SkyDemon integration:

Why does SD show the green return in yellow?

EGTK Oxford

I am flying over the Alps tomorrow so it’s going to be interesting.

If you depart early enough you’ll have clear path to your destination

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Peter wrote:

You seem to have avoided any TS

Affirm

Peter wrote:

Did you get any turbulence in the green stuff?

Light turbulences and downdraft, nothing significant. I was below the cloud base, with marginal visibility due to rain.

Peter wrote:

I think the IR image, if used alone, has the same limitation that the SAT24 IR image

I understand IR image is just IR image: you have the top, but can hardly say the vertical structure (precipitation helps here), or cloud base.

JasonC wrote:

Thanks for asking, I wondered yesterday. Not really familiar with Skydemon radar overlay. From memory, using internet data, precips show blue and red (?)
Maybe Sebastian will tell us.
Anyway, @Peter, this way I was using ADL GPS position instead of iPad internal GPS to feed Skydemon. (Although in my case, both works the same)

Emir wrote:

If you depart early enough you’ll have clear path to your destination

That’s clever pilot

Last Edited by PetitCessnaVoyageur at 15 Jul 20:13

Internet downloaded radar overlay actually appears with different nuances of blue, and red, in SD.
Maybe that ADSB/GDL90/ADL (ie inflight) input shows with different nuances of yellow ? Not sure about this.

As has been written SkyDemon weather data obtained through the internet uses special colors. It is also not radar bit rather a combined weather product.

For the ADSB type weather transmitted via GDL90 protocol SkyDemon uses the default color specified by the ADSB specification. Those are different: This picture shows some ADSB sample data displayed in Skydemon. The ADL system will not transmit the highest purple color. It will just use red as a miximum.

But somewhere around April/May 2018 there was some SkyDemon version which had the colors shifted by one intensity. I pointed this out to Tim and he fixed it very fast. So please make sure you have the latest SkyDemon and the latest ADL firmware versions.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Thanks Sebastian for your lights.
My SD is up to date (8 July 18), but I didn’t update the ADL to 8.09

So sorry for the stupid question but I can’t reread all 35 pages: today the Golze system can display weather in SD (great!), its own app, and… Garmin Pilot? Foreflight? Thanks

EGTF, LFTF

Garmin Pilot?

No Garmin says they believe Europe will soon have complete ADS-B UAT coverage and have no interest to work with the ADL system.

Foreflight? (and SkyDemon)

ForeFlight is the exact opposite. They like the ADL system and the current version can display about the same weather features as SkyDemon.

But in general so far no third party app can display all the weather (radar, strikes, infrared, wind etc.). ForeFlight and SkyDemon will currently just show the radar and that is also rendered not as smooth as the ADLConnect app will show it. So in the end you will probably still use both apps in parallel.

Last Edited by Sebastian_G at 23 Jul 17:06
www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

ForeFlight is the exact opposite. They like the ADL system and the current version can display about the same weather features as SkyDemon.

Are you sure about that? I have recent versions of FF and ADL and they show different weather pictures. On the example below you can see that radar image for Northeast Italy is missing in FF app while lightning info is there.

Last Edited by Emir at 23 Jul 17:39
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Thanks Sebastian. I’m starting to plan getting rid of my Avydine system to install yours.

EGTF, LFTF
Sign in to add your message