Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ADL / Golze satellite weather system

You have the MLX770 denopa? That must have cost about 10k to install, plus a sizeable portion of 100 quid a month to run. I wrote about it in 2009, here, and I see even the Avidyne website links have gone dead.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes. It was there when I bought the plane so I don’t know how much it cost to put in. The monthly price has gone up indeed and will probably continue to do so, while the capabilities haven’t and now really lag behind Sebastian’s system. On top of that it goes via the EX600 MFD which is my second least liked thing in my plane (the stec altitude selecter is number 1).

EGTF, LFTF

Emir wrote:

Are you sure about that? I have recent versions of FF and ADL and they show different weather pictures

when connected to the internet ForeFlight will download their own weather product which is much different from what ADLConnect will display. Only when connected to an ADL140/150/200 device ForeFlight will receive the weather from this box via GDL90 protocol and display it. This data will also look quite a bit different in the ForeFlight app than the Internet based data and there will be no strikes displayed (yet).

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Peter wrote:

I see even the Avidyne website links have gone dead.

I spoke to them at AERO this year and they said they stopped making those MLX770 boxes.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Sebastian_G wrote:

ADL140/150/200 device

OK, so I must upgrade my device to get it.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

denopa wrote:

the stec altitude selecter is number 1

When I dumped the Meggit Magic and fitted the Garmin 500 I was delighted to see that the STEC altitide selector went with it ….. into the rubbish bin

Garmin Pilot?
No Garmin says they believe Europe will soon have complete ADS-B UAT coverage and have no interest to work with the ADL system.

Where does Garmin get this confidence from?

“Where does Garmin get this confidence from?”

Well if every European Garmin dealer had a UAT transmitter at their hangar, that would probably create pretty wide coverage!

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

A search with

UAT AND military

digs up some reasons why this is very unlikely to happen.

An even bigger reason is that there is no business case in providing a service to GA of which the vast majority pays no route charges. The current UK trial (one thread here) with some ground stations is IMHO publicity for some manufacturers; probably better value than advertising because it looks a lot more “friendly” and the choice of advertising channels in GA is extremely limited.

Another is that the vast majority of flying is short VFR legs at low levels which are done just fine on preflight briefings and one can get in-flight internet on a smartphone.

The Golze product (I have the ADL150) addresses the higher altitude (which is basically all Eurocontrol IFR) flying, on which mobile data is highly sporadic at best.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Where does Garmin get this confidence from?

I have no idea but I assume it is simply the US perspective on things without even going into the European details. The facts are that first the UAT frequency is owned by the military for TACAN/DME. Second so far nobody seems be willing to pay for the infrastructure. Third nobody with real power (airlines etc.) is lobbying for ADS-B UAT.

Even if solutions to those issues can be found they must work out in every European country in order to create a usable network. So even if it eventually would works out it might take ages.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ
Sign in to add your message