Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ADL / Golze satellite weather system

Peter wrote:

The current UK trial (one thread here) with some ground stations is IMHO publicity for some manufacturers; probably better value than advertising because it looks a lot more “friendly” and the choice of advertising channels in GA is extremely limited.

Of course, publicity or not, if it works (and it does) who cares.

EGTK Oxford

Sir_Percy wrote:

Where does Garmin get this confidence from?

When you have got 90% market share (very unhealthy for GA) you can pretty much do what you like.

EGLK, United Kingdom

Of course, publicity or not, if it works (and it does) who cares.

If the ADS-B UAT equipment is already there because one also flies in the US it is great and why not use it. What I think might be a bit problematic is if the ground infrastructure is financed with pure hardware sales. Pilots buy the equipment with the hope of using it for a long time but as soon as new sales go into saturation the service will lack financing and eventually be shut down.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Exactly.

All the sales drive, all over social media, is to sell the receiver boxes, and promote one popular tablet app There is no long term business plan, and there cannot be because “almost nobody” in GA will pay for it, when “almost everybody” can get the data for nothing either preflight or during flight at 2000ft on their phone.

I also wonder how many will play with it while it is working even if the coverage addresses only parts of their flying. Some clearly do, but I think most people with a bit of money (to go places) are looking for convergence and a neat installation. The Golze box can be installed neatly, possibly out of sight and out of the way. Mine is really great, on the far end bulkhead in the luggage compartment, and “just works” when the power comes on. I can reach the CB if I need to but if I need to use the phone for internet I disable wifi on it so it uses 3g/4g.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

A search with

UAT AND military

digs up some reasons why this is very unlikely to happen.

I don’t find anything. Can you elaborate?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I meant entering that into the EuroGA search box. This is the resulting search URL:

https://www.euroga.org/forums/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&for=UAT+AND+military&commit=Search

It digs out the discussions of military use of the UAT band, for example.

It saves me time doing and and generating links people can click on, and it nicely illustrates the use of the search function

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@Sebastian_G Will I be able to display the ADL weather on Foreflight using the ADL 120?

EDDS , Germany

eddsPeter wrote:

@Sebastian_G Will I be able to display the ADL weather on Foreflight using the ADL 120?

According to the Golze website it is only 140, 150 and 200 that have the capability.

EGTK Oxford

But what is the reason it can‘t be done with the 120?

It doesn’t support the GDL90 protocol

EHLE, Netherlands
Sign in to add your message