Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ADL / Golze satellite weather system

I’ve sent them an email asking if the product can use an Antcom rooftop antenna which I already have installed

We share the unit with a couple of pilots, and use it as a fully portable device.
We use the Garmin GA25 Suction cup mount for the windshield antenna, which fits very neat.
GPS/Iridium signal reception is quite good. I don’t think there is any need for an external antenna. But if you already have one, why not use it

and whether they have a windows app of any kind (my tablet is win8).

AFAIK the only tablet app available is for iPad (but that’s not necessarily a bad thing )

Last Edited by lenthamen at 07 Jul 10:08

I have taken the middle course of having it installed electrically in the aircraft (so it gets aircraft power and connects into the 530W) but only attached with Velcro, meaning that yesterday I was able to take it out and use it with another aerial and cigar lighter plug in a Cherokee (which had no other weather avoidance.)

I think that the Garmin connection is important. For example, when you are given a routing or a STAR you can immediately see how it compares to the weather. But if you don’t have it you can still put the route in manually.

I also think, despite Sebastian’s unsurprising protestations, that it can be used as a substitute for real time weather avoidance. Of course you have to give a wider berth, but if you have a general idea which way the weather is going, from successive 15 minute downloads, you can pretty much work out where the bad bits are going to be.

Sebastian has said to me that in a future release he is hoping to show successively stored pictures, which will allow you to predict a bit better.

I love the product to bits.

EGKB Biggin Hill

A playback feature would be really great. Maybe something that continuously plays a loop while if is being updated every 15m. With reference to the FPL one understands the dynamic situation much better than with a static image.

Frequent travels around Europe

Hotspots created by WiFi based avionics

There is a number of WiFi based avionics on the market. Devices like the Butterfly adapter for PowerFlarm or ADL110 for inflight WX.

They all create a WiFi hotspot. I’m wondering what happens, if you have more than one of those in the aircraft?

For example:
I install PowerFlarm with Butterfly and ADL. Will I be able to connect from the iPad to ADL and also use SkyDemon to see the traffic detected by PowerFlarm?

Frequent travels around Europe

I am not aware of any tablets that allow you to connect to multiple WIFI networks. Maybe some of the devices allow joining an existing network instead of always creating one.

Now that even Apple supports Bluetooth 4.0, it would make much more sense for those products to use Bluetooth instead of WIFI. It was just a workaround because Apple did not support the current Bluetooth standard which allows connection to devices that are not “approved by Apple Politburo[1]”

[1] © Peter

This is no problem as you can reconfigure the ADL as a WiFi Client. I have spoken to Sebastian before I bought it.

United Kingdom

What does this actually mean?

The ADL acts as a wifi hotspot, and works only with the dedicated app (Ipad or Android?).

Can it be used for open internet e.g. POP/SMTP email? I know it would be very slow (2400 bits/sec on iridium) but sometimes that facility is priceless.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I know it would be very slow (2400 bits/sec on iridium)

Much much slower than that, ADL uses Iridium Short Burst Data which is an unreliable datagram service.

Due to Apple past policy, wifi was the only way to connect external hardware to iOS without getting the hardware approved by Apple (with a special crypto chip inside the device).

No the ADL would work as a WiFi client and the PowerFlarm would be the WiFi hotspot.
You could configure a different WiFi hotspot with internet connectivity (like the Thuraya) as you wish

United Kingdom

Are you saying the ADL will work as a wifi client, with another (non ADL) wifi hotspot (wifi access point – e.g. a Thuraya one) providing the connectivity for the ADL?

If so, how does the pricing work out?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message