Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ADL / Golze satellite weather system

No it means you can use the iPad to connect to the ADL though another WiFi connection – you have a WLAN network in the plane with one hub and two clients – your iPad and the adl. Its connectivity for the weather remains on iridium.

EGTK Oxford

@ Stephan #01

Concerning the initial questions the ADL devices can indeed be configured as WiFi clients. The communication between your iPad and the ADL110B or ADL120 is in that case a client – client connection.
The limitation is that the third device providing the access point must be switched on and it must provide a real WiFi access point and no simple Ad-Hoc WiFi.

I remember researching this for the Butterfly Air Connect and later devices will work while earlier serial numbers only provide Ad-Hoc WiFi.

@ Peter #04

The ADL WiFi access point is really just a wireless connection and does not automatically provide direct Internet access.
The ADL110B and ADL120 will not provide Internet access but provide the special weather service which can only be “seen” by the ADLConnect iPad app.

@ Peter #04

In fact Iridium is much more than the 2400 bits/s dialup connections. They also offer packet based connections, packet based broadcasts and if you have serious money hosted payloads etc. So in every case the best technology for an application depends on a lot of aspects. But usually Iridium will not be the solution for free web surfing.

@ Peter #07

The ADLConnect iPad app is able to do “demo” downloads over any existing Internet connection. So if you somehow have Internet access you can download weather.

So far this service is free. It is a demo for the full ADL system. All you need is a login from Deutscher Wetterdienst (66,80 EUR + VAT per year) in order to access the full data set.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Anybody tried the Gotze in-flight wx solution?

Has anyone tried this in-flight wx solution from Golze?

http://www.ing-golze.de/products_overview.jsp

Vince

Last Edited by chflyer at 30 Apr 20:51
LSZK, Switzerland

Yes, many. I just got my ADL120 yesterday and plan to install it this weekend. But have a loaner before for testing, worked fine! Nothing beats Sebastian’s solution – the Avidyne solution that does practically the same costs about 8 times as much, plus installation.

Have used it for several years including three Atlantic crossings. Great, sensibly priced and wonderful support. Cannot recommend highly enough.

EGTK Oxford

Yes, I’ve used it all over Europe and even up to the Faeroes in the lowly TB10. It adds hugely to my dispatch confidence.

EGEO

superproduct

Highly recommended.

Spending too long online
EGTF Fairoaks, EGLL Heathrow, United Kingdom

works great at an amazing pice

United Kingdom

I’m considering buying it but I have a problem installing it in DA42 – I don’t have the idea where to put it, how to ensure power etc. TBH I haven’t checked the options with Sebastian, maybe he can reply here. I guess Peter will not take it as advertising

LDZA LDVA, Croatia
Sign in to add your message