Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ADL / Golze satellite weather system

Thanks for that - having trouble paying now, but I'm sure I'll get there!

Spending too long online
EGTF Fairoaks, EGLL Heathrow, United Kingdom

Jason, just to understand, you already have data downlink in your plane, but prefer using this because of cost/iPad? Or you don't have downlink currently? I can see the attraction of this instead of buying a GSR56 or MLX770, but if you already have that in your plane, I don't.

EGTF, LFTF

Hello, thank you for all the support and the comments. A special thank you for the early adopters who went ahead and already ordered an ADL120! I'm working very hard to get those devices delivered as soon as possible.

I'm hoping there will be an Android app.

I'm considering it but this is not at the top of the list. While I like Android very much, the iPad is so wide spread among pilots that the iOS version is first priority.

Are you planning to connect it to your G1000? The ADL can receive flight plans from the GNS navigators but I don't know if it also work with the GTN and G1000.

It will definitely work with the GTN devices. We have at least two Mooneys flying with the ADL110 and the GTN750 where the Aviation Data signal is connected. For the G1000 it seems to be possible also by using the appropriate connectors on the GIA63 / GIA63W units. There is now one customer who wants to go ahead so rather soon we will know for sure.

Deutscher Wetterdienst subscription

Yes unfortunately their English website is not complete and there show up many German bits here and there. But the data they deliver compared to the price they charge is simply great. Just to give you an idea here is the pricelist only for the Austrian data. In our case distributing the raw data to the final customers the highest price would apply. And that would be for Austria only…

Jason, just to understand, you already have data downlink in your plane, but prefer using this because of cost/iPad?

You have to know that Jason changed his plane. The old one was equipped with the Avidyne product but the new one did not have a datalink system yet. By the way an extremely nice airplane. For those of us who learned to fly in 35 year old planes with loose door panels this is what an airplane can look like!

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

I can see the attraction of this instead of buying a GSR56 or MLX770, but if you already have that in your plane, I don't.

Yes, as Sebastian said, I had the MLX770 in the old Mirage. For the G1000 Meridian, the GSR56 is not yet approved but there is an STC you can buy to fit it. The fitted cost however would be more than 10x the ADL120. That pays for a lot of data.

EGTK Oxford

Jason, can you tell us how the ADL120 performs for tactical weather avoidance during flight?

To get a overview how it looks to fly with the ADL mear frontal weather take a look https://www.pilotundflugzeug.de/forum/2013,06,17,15,3109215 Only german but look the pics and try google translate! Enjoy https://www.pilotundflugzeug.de/forum/2013,05,29,21,2138859

EDAZ

Now a version of the ADLConnect app for iPad is available in the app store for free. It contains some sample weather data.

Those who already have an ADL110B or ADL120 please continue to use the app version you installed with the direct link as the version on the app store is about 10 days behind due to the slow release process in the store.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

can you tell us how the ADL120 performs for tactical weather avoidance during flight?

I haven't used it for that so can't really comment. I think it would depend upon the recency of the radar data. As I have airborne radar, I would tend to use that for that sort of weather flying.

EGTK Oxford

Does this product give you any kind of open internet access?

I realise Iridium's 2400bits/sec is nearly useless but it is not totally useless. For example sending brief emails would be good, to tell somebody your ETA. Most smartphone owners can receive emails, especially if they know to expect one.

Satellite phone SMS messages (the obvious way) are bad for that because of poor agreements between satphone operators and terrestrial cellular networks. For example Thuraya SMS message work at best with 50% of networks. They do not work with Vodafone UK or T-Mobile but work with Vodafone Germany i.e. practically useless.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Does this product give you any kind of open internet access?

All communication is packet based and compressed. So no regular IP protocol access is possible and all services are especially optimized for this kind of transmission.

SMS

The SMS is actually transmitted as raw data to the server and then send of to the mobile phone through a ground based service provider. So far this works very well with all European mobile phones. You are right that sending for example genuine Thuraya SMS would be extreme unreliable, I did some test runs last year...

Sending email would be possible. The biggest challenge here is how to tell people sending email to the plane that they should write a short message. That was the basic idea to go the SMS route first as about anybody knows that SMS are supposed to be short.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ
Sign in to add your message