Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ADL / Golze satellite weather system

I was just wondering:

There is a huge price difference between the 140 and 120 + others. Is there also a service-difference (information, data,…) between the cheaper and the more expensive product? Or does the difference in material really makes the price difference (and the service and data are the same for all of them)?

Vie
EBAW/EBZW

C210_Flyer wrote:

Does the radar imagery have a time stamp on it so one knows how old the image information is?

Yes. There is a box with the kind of information which is displayed on the screen and the timestamp of the latest data available. The app can even replay the sequence of images it has cached so you can get a feel for how fast the system is moving/developing, and in what direction.

LFPT, LFPN

Vieke wrote:

Or does the difference in material really makes the price difference (and the service and data are the same for all of them)?

Looks like this is the case. Functionality is the same.

EGTK Oxford

Can the system be displayed on a G600 or a G430 or a G496? Does it require an Ipad? If yes is there a way of connecting without wires?

KHTO, LHTL

C210_Flyer wrote:

Can the system be displayed on a G600 or a G430 or a G496? Does it require an Ipad? If yes is there a way of connecting without wires?

It needs iPad and you use Wifi to connect. No wires.

EGTK Oxford

The ADL120/130/140 suppose you use the ADLConnect application on a Tablet. The ADL110B is panel-mounted with integrated display. It can download the flightplan from a panel-mounted GPS, but the GPS cannot display data from the ADL110B. Also the ADL110B has the WiFi interface for the ADLConnect application.

The tablet will connect to the ADL110B/120/130/140 using WiFi (SSID “ADL Connect”). The ADL120 and ADL140 require an external power source (e.g. cigarette lighter). The ADL120 can be permanently mounted in the avionics bay. Both the ADL120 and ADL130 require a glareshield antenna for sat com. The ADL140 contains an integrated sat com antenna. The ADL130 contains a rechargeable battery.

LFPT, LFPN

I will see Sebastian’s different products at the aero and see what would work best for me. Its a shame I cant put it on my G600. MFD.

The fact that it does not require wires all over is a plus.

Thanks for explaining the products.

KHTO, LHTL

What’s the details of the satellite services used? I’m just thinking that those of us on even tighter budgets might be able to do something with the Raspberry Pi 3…

I fear there is not much to be saved when using a Pi or similar. I explored most options and when everything is said and done the ADL140 probably can not be undercut on price unless one starts to go into very high volume production. When offering a commercial product you have to have proper warranty, customer support, distribution etc. If there is really high demand I might be abe to offer an ADL140 self assembly kit without warranty etc. at a slightly lower price but regarding the number of components we broke until we got everything perfect it does probably not pay off to go through this learning curve for a sinlge unit…

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Peter wrote:

I believe their system was originally designed for millions of nomadic users in the Middle East

I find that hard to believe, given that the system uses a european standard for the air interface (ETSI).

alioth wrote:

Iridium/Thuraya also implies it has to be two-way and not a broadcast

Just build a microsat, it’s not too hard to get a “hike” into space for a noncommercial microsat…

LSZK, Switzerland

I have started a new thread on a “homebuilt satcomms system” here

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message