Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ADL / Golze satellite weather system

I liked it just fine on my iPad.

EGTK Oxford

I’m considering subscribing to this system. Could people who are using it comment on whether they find the iPad display alone best, or is the panel mount the better way to go? Or both?

Just to avoid any confusion, all ADL devices will talk to the ADLConnect iPad app. The panel mount ADL110B can display weather information on its own screen in parallel to the iPad.

But the ADL110B is out of production. I have some parts left and build a few for emergencies only (pilots who designed a panel around it and then realized it was no longer available…). For any new project I recommend the ADL150 black box with the iPad link:
http://www.ing-golze.de/products_adl150.jsp

I suppose I can toggle to the weather as needed.

Yes you can switch between the SkyDemon app and the ADLConnect app. If you have a rather new iPad the apps will also run side by side in split screen mode.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

It works really fine with iPad. I use it in parallel with SD.
I can also rely on my iPhone7+ (which I keep as backup) as dedicated ADL display.

Jean
EBST, Belgium

I run SkyDemon on my iPad and like to use it for VFR navigation. I suppose I can toggle to the weather as needed. As a general matter, I find portables a bit exasperating (wires all over the place, power issues,etc) but use them anyway!

How far do you fly?? My iPad mini holds power for 4 hours+ running SkyDemon, Garmin and ADL. I do hibernate it though, whenever I’m not actively looking at it, but all three are still running in the background. ADL is updated periodically, and once you have the information, there is little need to look at it again.

EGTR

@mmgreve
My new audio panel has a USB port that allows recharging of the iPad.

Tököl LHTL

@Sebastian_G
Do you have any opinion about the processing of those ASPOC pictures ?

Sorry I’m confused here, how long does one radar sweep take?
Stating that it can’t be transmitted quicker is ridiculous.

Radar composites are compositions of dozens and in some case over hundred radar stations operated in different countries. All their data must be measured which can take several minutes if multiple sweeps at different angles are done. Then the data is usually collected nationwide with a certain deadline and then redistributed internationally with another deadline.

As a result we have the current delays as they are. I fully agree that technically a much faster system could be build. But this would involve dozens of different national government agencies, legacy systems, interfaces etc. Currently there is simply nobody with enough power to accomplish such a project.

General aviation is among the few users interested in more accurate data. Most other users like general weather forecasting, agriculture etc. seem to be happy with the current data delays.

Radar data is sold commercially, and they sell different feeds at different prices.

In general they don’t offer radar data with less delay at different prices. If you have to pay for the data they charge per image. So the only difference is if you take 4 or 12 images an hour if available. But also note that a quite a few European countries started to give away their radar data for free.

If anybody wants to know the details the general purpose radar pricing is available here (keep in mind the catalogue does not list discounts which are available for aviation purposes):
http://www.ecomet.eu/ecomet-catalogue/catalogue-search-tool

Who is then sponsoring this site: http://www.radareu.cz ?

As they make no profit it seems to be “tolerated” by the weather services beyond the data which is free anyway. Also the quality of the data is limit in some areas.

This is what ADL do but they get the real digital data AFAIK, not images which need joining up and remapping.

Even the data we get comes in a whole lot of different formats, maps projections, resolutions etc. and there is an ever evolving algorithm which puts it all together.

Finally if anybody is interested due to new licensing the ADLConnect app is now usable without a paid weather subscription. All you need is to sign up for free on our website as we have to limit the use to aviaiton for licensing reasons. Also don’t spread the word too far yet as our infrastructure capacity is still a little limited:
https://www.ing-golze.de/signup.jsp

Last Edited by Sebastian_G at 07 Nov 10:53
www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

That signup link works (I got the email) but there is no indication that it did – you just get taken back to the same page. I will try it later tonight.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I just signed up, downloaded the app and signed in. Seems to work quite well and radar shows there’s a band of light rain about to pass over my home!

@ Sebastian_G – Great work and this is beginning to convince me to look into an ADL. What were the licensing changes you referred to?

@Sebastian_G
Thanks for this opportunity! I tried to sign up, but did not receive any confirmation e-mails (checked in the Spam folder as well). If I try to sign up again, it says that the e-mail address is already taken.

Hajdúszoboszló LHHO
Sign in to add your message