Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ADL / Golze satellite weather system

I have been thinking about this and the theoretical options are:

- Use a display which is GDL90 compliant. Unfortunately only some of the older panel mounted devices support it. Then I could modify the ADL so it will output GDL90 data on the serial port and that would probably work.

- As Peter suggested use some form of video (preferably HD) generator and then use a display which can show video like many of the Garmin devices like G500/600, G500Txi etc. But in many cases that video input is an expensive software update (I recently heard 2000 USD for the G500Txi). So this would be a rather expensive solution and the result is still aseparate image on the MFD, not fully overlaid on the map etc.

- Generate an artificial on board radar data stream. But again on board radar support is a very expensive option on most Garmin devices and the result would still be a compromise as it would only show a fraction of the ADL radar data on that artificial radar screen.

So my conclusion is that the massive cost and limited capabilities of such solutions are not worth the developpment effort. Now that ADL data can be displayed on ForeFlight and SkyDemon at no additional cost the market for such an additional solution would be very small.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

What can we expect from Golze in the near future ? New hardware/software ? Just curious…

EBST, Belgium

Does anyone know what the statement "Automatic position updates every 10 minutes are included with all active service plans. A fair use policy applies. " here means?

Surely the aircraft symbol is positioned by the client device’s GPS position, overlaying the wx data previously downloaded.

I am also trying to find out how to suspend the €40/month if not using the service for a month or two. Is this via a website login? It says my email address is already used but the ADL password doesn’t work and I can’t create a new account, obviously…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Does anyone know what the statement "Automatic position updates every 10 minutes are included with all active service plans. A fair use policy applies. " here means?

I think that’s uploading your aircraf’s position over Iridium to the Golze servers, where you can then download a log of your flights.
“Fair use policy” probably means if your plane flies “too much”, it won’t be included any more.

ELLX

More here.

Administrator

Just got an IFD 540 installed in our Commander 112TCA. I also have an ADL 140 that i use with ForeFlight.
Both the IFD and the ADL have their own networks that you have to connect to from the iPad. Is there any solution to use them together?
@Sebastian_G possible with a software tweak to use another network (IFD540) from ADL?

Jonas

ESOW Västerås, Sweden

Jonas wrote:

Just got an IFD 540 installed in our Commander 112TCA. I also have an ADL 140 that i use with ForeFlight.
Both the IFD and the ADL have their own networks that you have to connect to from the iPad. Is there any solution to use them together?

Set up the IFD to use the ADL network, then you’ll have all three on the same network. Of course, that creates a dependency on the ADL being powered up and functional. I don’t think that Sebastian has any plan to make the ADL wifi network configurable, which would allow doing it the other way around (better in case ADL is for some reason not on-line).

Last Edited by chflyer at 27 Mar 11:26
LSZK, Switzerland

Thanks @chflyer, just had IFD for a week and was not aware of remote network usage in IFD.

Jonas

ESOW Västerås, Sweden

Sounds like the IFD wifi adapter is an Access Point which supports multiple clients and acts as a switch i.e. it provides connectivity between them. Most public wifi access points implement isolation between clients, for obvious reasons.

I don’t know why the ADL doesn’t do the same thing, but presumably if the IFD is an AP then another AP cannot be used to access that AP… not sure if I have got this right. Can the ADL support multiple clients?

Administrator

The IFD comes out of the box defaulting as an access point. It can definitely support multiple clients because FF and the IFD100 app run concurrently on different devices (note: IFD100 is an app that is like a 2nd screen for the panel mount ….. sometimes on a big ipad pro ). But it can also be configured as a client to another access point (e.g. ADL or Stratus or ….).

Good question about whether the ADL can support multiple clients.

(thread creep: a few “cheapskates” have installed the small format IFD440 and use the IFD100 to get the IFD540 panel real estate without paying the 540 price …. especially useful in small homebuilts with limited panel space)

Last Edited by chflyer at 27 Mar 17:56
LSZK, Switzerland
Sign in to add your message