Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ADL / Golze satellite weather system

Peter wrote:

Can you execute the decompression on the IFD’s processor?

The actual data decompression is done on the ADL140/150/190/200 itself. Regarding the IFD they would certainly not add any feature for the ADL products. The only way is to use what is already out there so to simulate an ADS-B signal. But it gets the job done and you get a radar layer on the IFD provided by the ADL system.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Sure; what I was getting at, but forgot to type in my last post, is that you are decompressing in the ADL and then sending the decompressed data over 115k RS232. How long does it take to transfer the image to the IFD?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

How long does it take to transfer the image to the IFD?

It is a broadcast so it just keeps sending. The exact duration will depend on the data structure and the size of the area as also GDL90 is slightly compressed but it will take maybe 30-60 seconds for the whole of the UK to transmit. The ADL might be able to send a bit more data but I did some tests and if the data comes too fast some third party apps (the same data goes over WiFi) seemed to hang up.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

installing 2×IFD540.

I’d go 1x IFD550 and 1x IFD540. That attitude indicator looks pretty neat.

EBST, Belgium

Also bear in mind that the weather data can be shown on SkyDemon (which is like a second MFD anyway) and in some ways that is preferable.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Timothy wrote:

Also bear in mind that the weather data can be shown on SkyDemon (which is like a second MFD anyway) and in some ways that is preferable.

Agreed. And also ForeFlight and perhaps EasyVFR. I have my ADL200 and ipad (running ForeFlight & ADLConnect) on the IFD access point wifi. That way I can transfer flight plans IFD →FF → ADL or reverse or FF → IFD & FF → ADL. Sort of pick your flavour. All over wifi without the effort of getting into the panel for a cabling modification which quickly runs into hours ($$). This also gives me any ADS-B traffic (for what it’s worth under FL200) as well as wx graphics and TAF/METAR in ForeFlight. We now just need D-ATIS in the data stream to allow early ATIS pickup

See instructions here:
https://www.ing-golze.de/downloads/Displaying_ADL_Weather_in_ForeFlight_1_00.pdf local copy

and here:
https://www.ing-golze.de/downloads/ADLConnect_Flight_Plan_Import_and_Export_1_02.pdf local copy

I must say, that Sebastian is doing an outstanding job of bringing additional function to our cockpit flying environment at minimal incremental cost. His ADL’s should be selling like hot croissants!

LSZK, Switzerland

I think there is a huge value in displaying ADL wx data on panel mounted avionics. It gets you away from having a tablet whose battery is continually running down, whose screen can be accidentally touched and bugger up the running program, etc.

You still need to run the ADLconnect app to configure and activate the wx download but presumably you can set up a periodic download which requires no further interaction with the phone. The most heavy use of the ADL would be in difficult conditions in IMC and you will be working like a one armed bandit and don’t want to be fiddling with a phone or a tablet. TP and jet pilots aren’t fiddling with their phones to control their wx radar…

Can you display tafs and metars on the IFD?

SD has value to VFR pilots but I do almost no “significant” flying in the UK nowadays and abroad go IFR. It is different if you can mount a tablet somewhere handy, with charging, but in the TB20 this isn’t possible.

I have my ADL200 and ipad (running ForeFlight & ADLConnect) on the IFD access point wifi.

So… the IFD forms the WIFI AP, and the ADL, plus any ADLconnect app(s), are clients on this WIFI. That’s different from the usual ADL mode which is a WIFI AP itself, not a client. Or have I got this wrong?

And the flight plan transfer IFD → ADL is also over WIFI? The ADL, being a client, must be downloading the FP from the IFD.

The PDF states

This manual describes the iOS Version of the ADLConnect app. There is also an
Android version but it is very limited regarding flight plan transfer features

However my android version seems to work fine, showing the ex-KLN94 FP. What is the loss of functionality? I can see I have no FP export, but that doesn’t matter.

His ADL’s should be selling like hot croissants!

I hope it is; it’s a great product. Very reliable too.

Administrator

Just thinking if it would‘t be possible to transmit a low power ADSB UAT signal via an ADL xxx or a separate box that could then be used by any currently available receiver. That would be a great enhancement and would also allow the interfacing of Garmin and other equipment….

Peter wrote:

So… the IFD forms the WIFI AP, and the ADL, plus any ADLconnect app(s), are clients on this WIFI. That’s different from the usual ADL mode which is a WIFI AP itself, not a client. Or have I got this wrong?

And the flight plan transfer IFD → ADL is also over WIFI? The ADL, being a client, must be downloading the FP from the IFD.

You’ve got the wifi config right. This is fully described in the newest wifi manual from June:
https://www.ing-golze.de/downloads/ADL140_ADL150_ADL190_ADL200_WiFi_Manual_0_90.pdf local copy

But without a hardwire connection the IFD—>ADL FPL transfer is not direct between the two because not (yet) supported. Rather it is a 2-step process over wifi via an app supported by both the IFD and ADLConnect. E.g. ForeFlight supports simultaneous wifi connections to ADLConnect and the IFD, as well as bi-directional FP transfer to/from the IFD. So the flow is initiated from ForeFlight by retrieving a FP from the IFD and then transferring it to ADLConnect as described in the FP import/export manual above. Sounds complicated, but it’s not really.

A hardwire connection IFD—>ADL eliminates the need for the intermediary ForeFlight app and also adds the ability to display the wx and tfc on the IFD. If that’s your strong preference, then that’s the way to go. At the moment, the IFD won’t accept wx or tfc input over wifi, from any app/device.

Last Edited by chflyer at 09 Nov 18:45
LSZK, Switzerland

But without a hardwire connection the IFD—>ADL FPL transfer is not direct between the two because not (yet) supported. Rather it is a 2-step process over wifi via an app supported by both the IFD and ADLConnect.

Is this an automatic process, or manual?

At the moment, the IFD won’t accept wx or tfc input over wifi, from any app/device.

I did wonder how it was done, and this is why Sebastian is using RS232 (115200 baud) as discussed further back. That’s fine.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message