Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ADL / Golze satellite weather system

I have a question about the AHRS:
the manual says that it must be calibrated in flight.
Assuming the box remains “fixed” (e.g. with Velcro) installed in the aircraft, i.e. in the same position, is a new calibration still required or is the initial calibration (of the previous flight) saved and the Artificial Horizon information is displayed “correctly” within the tolerance incl. inaccuracy?
Or is a recalibration necessary every time, for every flight?

Thanks!

TB_flyer wrote:

or is the initial calibration (of the previous flight) saved

It will save the calibration. Anything else would not work as you have to realize that on some flights a new calibration will be close to impossible. To make it work properly the aircraft must fly stable. If you get bounced around in low level turbulence getting a good calibration will be very difficult. So best pick a high level flight on autopilot to get the calibration right.

Just as a reference. If properly calibrated you should get a performance similar to this video:

And please make sure you run the latest firmware on the ADL device as there have been improvements. So do not wast your time working with an old firmware version.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

TB_flyer wrote:

I have a question about the AHRS:
the manual says that it must be calibrated in flight.

I made a short video which explains how to calibrate the AHRS (ADL180/190/200):

I also made a video which shows the differences between the GSR56 and the ADL devices:

Finally if somebody is looking for a low budget data link weather solution I have a few pre owned ADL140 available. It would be a shame to let them rot on the shelf as they can still provide great service. They would be available at 335 Euro + VAT (so 399 EUR with VAT) without any satellite service commitment.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

I am an ADL user and am vary happy with what it does. If I could offer a small suggestion, it would be for input like this to work, saving two taps per airport.

LPFR, Poland

Does anybody use Jeppview with the position data of the ADL ? I can’t get the “ownship on approach” to work. It says the gps accuracy is below minimum.

EBST, Belgium

Does any other app work with that position data?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes. Skydemon.

EBST, Belgium

Are you sure SD is using that position source, and not the GPS API in the OS (the built-in GPS) for example?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

No, the iPad has no build-in GPS. I used to couple it with a GPS-dongle via bluetooth, but now I connect it to the ADL. Maybe it has something to do with GDL90…

EBST, Belgium

No, the iPad has no build-in GPS. I used to couple it with a GPS-dongle via bluetooth, but now I connect it to the ADL.

Wifi only iPads do not have GPS
Wifi + Cellular (sim card port) do have inbuilt GPS

EGCJ Sherburn, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message