Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Avidyne IFD440 / IFD540

Key words – the validation authority accepts the certification authority without further technical review. This is in the November 2015 TIP (version 5).

If only this happened. We have an EASA STC going through FAA validation and it’s been taken apart totally by the FAA with many requested changes, even though only recently approved by EASA.

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

Sounds like this bombshell is just another dud …

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Maybe some of you have noticed this already: I’ve got a promotional email from Avidyne about synthetic vision now getting included in the IFD system just the way it is for R9.

Just wanted to pass that on …

Frequent travels around Europe

Another quote from Avidynelive forum, on this subject for IFD units. Approval expected within the next month or so, depending entirely on EASA.

http://www.avidynelive.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1051&title=ifd-easa-cert-update

I believe Avidyne submitted the request to EASA when the IFD540 received FAA approval mid-2014, so this is far from automatic. Not sure about the exact date of the submission to EASA though. The above thread mentions that they’ve now created templates to speed up future approvals …. time will tell.

Vince

LSZK, Switzerland

This video came out recently on the IFD540

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Brilliant how he says around 17 minutes that single pilot IFR is illegal in most of Europe

EHLE, Netherlands

Yes; amazing ignorance.

Might explain why they didn’t bother testing the box on EGNOS… zero size market

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yeah – that was a big miss. They may have tested but only in a lab with a simulator, not actually in Europe. EGNOS didn’t work at all on the first few software release. On the most recent major one it does but not reliably. Avidyne have now asked three dealers in Europe to test an unreleased fix following complains from me – and probably other EU customers – that EGNOS was unreliable still. What happens is that on some GPS approaches you get an annunciation that you’re downgraded to LNAV/VNAV even though LPV minimums have been published. I hope the fix will be part of their upcoming 10.2 release.

EHLE, Netherlands

I am amazed that is still a problem on the Avidyne units.

EGTK Oxford

Hi all,

Wanted to correct a few pieces of disinformation. The IFD540 and IFD440 works with EGNOS. It was tested with EGNOS from the very start – this was not an oversight.

A recent change to the EGNOS message protocol was introduced and we did not properly account for that. The result was a potential downgrade from SBAS status to FDE status meaning that affected box would be stepped down from LPV to LNAV/VNAV minimums. This is not acceptable and we made a change to our internal GPS software to correct that.

Several IFDs with that updated/improved code have been running tests at various locations in Europe for a few weeks now resulting in our confidence in the change. We are running the cert for that now.

Avidyne Product Development
KBED
Sign in to add your message