Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Avidyne IFD440 / IFD540

A recent change to the EGNOS message protocol was introduced and we did not properly account for that.

When did that happen?

That sort of thing should have affected every GPS that uses EGNOS, going back to my Garmin 496 (year 2005) which still appears to work, though I admit it never reliably picked up EGNOS anyway…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Haven’t noticed any problems with Garmin kit using EGNOS even with no software update in years.

EGTK Oxford

The changes made to the EGNOS protocol were made in Feb or Mar 2016 (I forgot exactly when). Each vendor’s code and design is obviously quite different from each other. We can only assume that our design prior to the Q1 2016 protocol changes was not flexible enough to deal with the change while other vendors were.

Avidyne Product Development
KBED

AviJake wrote:

The changes made to the EGNOS protocol were made in Feb or Mar 2016 (I forgot exactly when). Each vendor’s code and design is obviously quite different from each other. We can only assume that our design prior to the Q1 2016 protocol changes was not flexible enough to deal with the change while other vendors were.

The problem excisted in 2015 with GPS in general and EGNOS?

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

The message in question that tripped us up is the MT24 message. The WAAS network uses a slightly different message format.

The folks who maintain EGNOS have a website that has an archive of every EGNOS message since 2006 http://www.egnos-pro.esa.int/ems/index.html

From that, it appears that they turn the MT24 – Mixed Corrections message on and off periodically.

They started sending it on 4/22/2015 and stopped on 6/4/2015. Then they started again on 1/4/2016 and stopped on 1/12/2016. Then again 2/9/2016 through 4/15/2016.

It looks like they have not sent it since 4/15/2016 which also means that all IFDs in Europe since 15 April would not experience this problem. The issue is that we don’t know when/if the message will be turned on again so the change we’re making allows us to handle that unexpected formatting.

KBED

Just heard this from Avidyne.

I wonder which firmware version they certified? EASA dragged it’s heels ridiculously on Garmin firmware updates.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The software/firmware certified is the current software for everyone (Release 10.1.2.0).

Garmin and EASA blazed the path for us for future software/firmware upgrades. As a result, we currently believe that will go lightning fast, when compared to the duration of this initial approval and the processes are in place to support that. We’ll see.

KBED

Good job.

United Kingdom

Congratulations to Avidyne!!

The IFD540 is an excellent product and with the upcoming 10.2 version, it just blows away the competition.

I believe that it is an AML certification meaning that just about any single and GA type twin are covered!

Today we have released 10.1.3 which incorporates software changes based upon AviJakes last post. It is certified for all IFD’s and is approved under the new EASA AML STC that we have now obtained. Avidyne dealers have access to the software loader files and SB. Please feel free to contact them to arrange for an update.

Sign in to add your message