Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

New engine for less money than an overhaul

I paid 28500 GBP + VAT for an overhaul IO-360. Including a crankcase repair and a new crankshaft 2 years ago.

United Kingdom

How much would the same job be in the US?

pmh
ekbr ekbi, Denmark

Including the cost for shipping it back for a warranty claim? The additional risk does pay off unless you believe in the superiority of US overhaul shops compared to European outfits, an idea I do not subscribe to.

Last Edited by achimha at 30 Jul 13:35
A few minutes of googling brought results between approx. 15000 and 22000 USD. Even factoring in the freight and assembly costs, there is obviously a big difference.
Last Edited by blueline at 30 Jul 13:35
LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

No overhaul is like the other. The 30k€ was with a bad crankshaft and a bad crankcase as well as the standard bad camshaft. You can call anything an overhaul from dusting off the engine to building a new one.

Without opening the engine, it’s impossible to say what it will cost. It’s usually like seeing the doctor because your throat aches and going home with terminal cancer.

Last Edited by achimha at 30 Jul 13:38

I paid pretty much 22k € for mine. (O360). Including an exchange crankcase as the original one was found to have a crack, 4 new cylinders and basically everything else other than crankshaft and magnetoes (which had been overhauled only a few months before)

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 30 Jul 14:50
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Oh I forgot. I had 2 new magnetos. One packed in after 18 hrs.

United Kingdom

You can call anything an overhaul from dusting off the engine to building a new one.

An overhaul requires specific actions.

Anything less is a repair. Dusting off would not require a logbook entry.

A good place to start re overhaul costs is Barrett Precision in Tulsa.

Last Edited by Peter at 30 Jul 15:56
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

As Silvaire mentioned in a different post recently, the term “overhaul” is not precisely defined.

Quote:

On N-register, and probably others, the legal meaning for engine “overhaul” is very different than most people would assume, so if you’re trying to educate yourself I think the legal definition a good place to start. This is FAA advisory circular that provides it: FAA AC 43-11

The important thing to understand is that an overhaul, by the definition of Advisory Circular can be nothing more than disassembly, inspection to determine that everything isn’t yet worn out, and reassembly. It can also be returning every wearing part to within closer tolerances than it was originally built, or anything in between. So you have to understand exactly what you’re buying, “overhauled” is not in itself a sufficient description.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

As per previous post an overhaul for an N-registered aircraft such as Peter’s requires disassembly, inspection to verify compliance with service limits and reassembly as the only specific actions.

Oops, posted too late

PS This is why we save the ‘yellow tags’ (repair station release to service) for each individual engine component after an overhaul – it adds credibility and often some dimensional data to the engine records. A logbook entry showing an engine overhaul without accompanying yellow tags is considered suspect by some. Given that any FAA A&P can overhaul a non-geared engine, subbing out all the individual parts for rework, its a system based on individual component records and logbook entries, not that some approved organization overhauled the engine as a whole and therefore it must magically be OK.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 30 Jul 16:45
Sign in to add your message