Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cirrus on EASA reg - 50hr or 100hr checks?

Yesterday I was told by an ex Cirrus service centre employee that only N-reg ones had the 100hr checks. The EASA reg ones were 50hrs.

I didn’t think that was true. Is it?

Actually IMHO the oil won’t be much good at 100hrs. The oil analysis data I have shows a rapid rise in metals after 50, in the IO540 engine.

The above is nothing to do with the FAA 100hr check which is required if you train others in your plane, or carry paying passengers. That 100hr check is almost a full Annual.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Still some confusion there.

One thing is the manufacturer’s maintenance schedule (which, in itself is mostly not binding for operators) and the other is what is put down as mandatory in the aircraft’s maintenance program (if such exists). The latter depends on the CAA in whose country the aircraft is registered.

Under private N-reg., neither the 50 hour inspection nor the 100 hour inspection is legally required. The annual is.

No clue what that guy was trying to say.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

With EASA finding the UK CAA LAMP non-compliant things are a little confused, most of the UK industry have taken the easy way out and put the Cirrus on the LAMP with the 50 hour check cycle however there is no reason that you can’t put the aircraft on the manufactures program.

If I owned a Cirrus the manufactures program is the way I would go with a 50 hour oil change. Cirrus say the oil can go to 100 hours with a big oil filter fitted but I think this is only a good thing if the aircraft is flying than about 700 hours a year.

On no account should shell multigrade oil be run past 50 hours as it can’t continue to hold the lead from the combustion blow by in suspension much past 50 hours.

Last Edited by A_and_C at 01 Aug 21:00
3 Posts
Sign in to add your message