Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Anybody has the Insight G4 engine monitor?

Reviving this old thread. Yes I have a G4 excluding vibration monitoring, sorry. Previously I had a basic insight graphical GEM 601 then a GEM610 with digits. The G4 I bought was not new, but from a guy who upgraded to a Garmin TXi its plug compatible with the GEM610 for the CHT and EGT probes (edge card). What is amazing is too see on every cylinder immediately CHT, EGT and how far ROP or LOP you are. I believe its the only unit who can do that. There is no normalizing feature but I don’t miss it. The user interface to set it up is a pain…I like the all in one overview and the self diagnostics to check the probe integrity it show for every probe the impedance. Still need to hook up the FF and MP. For the FF an adapter module is required to boost and clean up the input signal from the Shadin minifow. A G3 seems very small to read all the stuff.

EBST

Has anyone installed the G4 with vibration monitoring?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I looked at the G3 a few years ago and only for the vibration sensor because I already had a loaded EDM 700 (everything minus MP). But I just couldnt justify exchanging my EDM 700 just to get the vibration feature.

Ive had a very early GEM which I was happy with but then exchanged it for the EDM 700 with more features.

Its too bad that these manufacturers are using such cheap components which might add significantly to the cost of flying should a connecter become intermittent. Not to mention the aggravation associated with such a problem.

KHTO, LHTL

Yes, i have it .. But I have not installed the vibration part.

I have just been looking at the G4 again. It does vibration monitoring

That is a feature which has for many years been used on high-end helicopters to try to detect problems early on.

They use a remotely mounted vibration sensor – this is from the G4 IM

This is what it looks like – obviously a badged accelerometer

Administrator

The contacts should last OK in a dry atmosphere, but the total lack of a strain relief on the wires leading into the connector would be a bigger concern.

Administrator

I am sorry to say I am extremely unimpressed at the dirt cheap connectors they use

I was going to say the same. OTOH my autopilot uses the same, and they worked reliably for 40 years (but needed a cleaning two years ago).

LSZK, Switzerland

I had a chance to hold a G4 today. I am sorry to say I am extremely unimpressed at the dirt cheap connectors they use on the back, to connect to the various sensors

These have been known for decades to be a big cause of avionics issues.

The probes look OK but they more some more dirt cheap and nasty plastic connectors on the other sensors e.g. oil pressure.

For the money they charge, they are taking the p1ss.

Last Edited by Peter at 16 Aug 16:13
Administrator

The download page only lists EDM 830 firmware 3.35?

While talking about engine monitors, does anyone know what’s new features or bug fixes are in the EDM730/830 software update v3.43? I wish JPI would tell. When asking via email, they do not respond.

United States
25 Posts
Sign in to add your message