Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

GNS430 / GNS530 Backup Battery

Does anyone know what's involved with changing the backup battery on a GNS 430?

Not a show-stopper, but is annoying in that it boots from factory fresh each time, forgets frequencies and anything user-generated, and takes a while to establish where it is.

EGLM & EGTN

The installation manual states: The battery is not user replaceable. To replace the battery contract a Garmin repair station or factory authorized repair station.

I'm sure it can be done.

United Kingdom

The MM for the GNS430 is here: http://peter-ftp.co.uk/aviation/misc-euroga/2019-11-garmin--mm-400revC.pdf

and if you search for "battery" you will find it pretty quickly.

It doesn't appear to give the battery P/N but [dead link - see posts below].

More here http://peter-ftp.co.uk/aviation/misc-euroga/2019-11-530-battery.pdf

Apparently Garmin want $800 for the battery

Clearly significant electronics competence is needed to change it.

I did a google on the P/N of CR15250SE and suspect this contains a typo, but the battery will be a common one.

There will be a procedure for changing the battery which preserves the existing settings but it's nontrivial. It involves soldering in a temporary resistor, etc. I have seen it done on a KLN94. However if you are losing settings every time then that's irrelevant.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

When I last asked Garmin UK, for a 530, they wanted £700+VAT for the actual battery (easily available at £15). There was also the cost of fitting. There wasn't going to be much change from £1,100. When I declined, they offered a hefty discount as a 'new' customer.

Alternatively ask your usual avionics outfit, and the average total charge is around £150 - it's not a simple procedure, though some of the US forums have detailed instructions.

Swanborough Farm (UK), Shoreham EGKA, Soysambu (Kenya), Kenya

By the time you need a new battery, your warranty will have expired. So no reason to go down the Garmin path. Most avionics shops will do it for you or find someone with experience in electronics.

Apparently this is the battery.

The alternatives list is interesting:

REPLACES-
SANYO: CR14250, CR12450 SE, CR14250SE, VARTA: 6127, CR1/2AA, CR 1/2 AA, CR 1/2AA, CR1/2 AA, CR-1/2-AA

This looks like a completely bog standard 3V lithium battery.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Apparently Garmin want $800 for the battery

Did it once myself on an old ARNAV Star 5000 (was soldered also)
Your avionics shop can do it for 60 to 90 euro’s…I had that done on my previous aircraft…no issue at all.
I am electronics engineer but decide to let the avionics shop do it…just in case…warranty issues etc..
Note often there is a seal put in to avoid further discussions….

EBST

Garmin has a fixed repair fee. They charge this battery renewal as a repair.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

Battery price from Garmin is about 10 Euro. Do not use Garmin for battery replacement, use your local avionics shop. It takes about 1-1.5 hours including paper work and proper testing. /Sam – ionics

Have ignored the low battery warning of my GNS530 for some timeā€¦

Can someone point to an affordable option to replace the memory battery ?

The battery itself seems to be a bog standard 3V industrial type, but it should be done by someone who knows what he is doing.

EDM_, Germany
30 Posts
Sign in to add your message