Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

GNS430 / GNS530 Backup Battery

Have the same problem with my GNS430, look forward to hearing if there is a non Garmin solution (£xxxx)!

Garmin recently published Service Bulletin SB1963 Rev A allowing field replacement of the battery instead of returning the unit to Garmin.

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

That’s excellent news – although I can’t find anything online. Will check with some shops tomorrow.

Last Edited by ch.ess at 24 Nov 21:14
EDM_, Germany

Posts merged with previous thread on the GNS430 battery.

This may also be useful.

Amazingly, the link in above post is not yet dead which suggests that company is selling plenty of them

I wonder if wigglyamp can post sb1963? One can drop PDFs into the forum, like images.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Here is someone who did the backup battery replacement step by step with pics. Unfortunately the description is in german language. I would try it.
https://www.ulimike.de/umhtml/gns_430.html

EDWF, Germany

IMHO, if anyone cannot work out how to open up a GNS box, they perhaps ought to get someone else to do it

One of the key things is proper antistatic precautions – a mat which is grounded, and grounding oneself too with a wrist strap.

Interesting that the chrome Translate function won’t translate it. It does translate if you copy the text into google, however:

The comment

Of course, the user waypoints and timetables must also be reentered.

is actually not necessary if the special procedure I linked above is followed

Administrator

I know of an electronics “expert “ who wrecked two 430’s while trying to replace the back up batteries, just return the units to Garmin before it ends in tears.

Indeed; you do have to be skilled in electronics to do this.

But actually it is the same process for something like the KLN94. I’ve done a few of those, and using that (linked) process without losing the settings.

Administrator

I did repair one myself a few years ago. Was quite easy no SMD or similar. I think anybody with a temperature regulated soldering iron can do it.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Peter

When Simon was at Stapleford hid did the battery replacement on my KLN89B while I watched, he made it look easy ………. but the highly skilled can make that sort of thing look easy.

Sign in to add your message