Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ADS-B - what practical relevance in Europe?

The TAS605A already supports ADS-B IN and I believe existing systems can be upgraded. No external box is required – if already receives on 1090Mhz for the standard traffic function.
http://www.avidyne.com/products/tas-a/index.html

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

So, they have actually done it? They were promising it for years. When I had my TAS605 installed in Jan 2013 this was the status

Would a 2012 box be upgradeable and how much?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I believe all TAS units can be upgraded. I’ll ask the Oracle tomorrow for the price!

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

Peter wrote:

So, they have actually done it?

They are delivering A models now. And they can be upgraded. It isn’t an cheap upgrade though, can’t recall the exact figure.
It might not be worthwhile upgrading now in Europe. As you would see all traffic anyhow. The main advantage is better accuracy, or when all / most aircraft are equiped ADS-B in makes a sense, as it would require less money for an more accurate system.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

As you would see all traffic anyhow

Do you mean that anybody radiating ADS-B OUT will anyway have a Mode C/S transponder? That would make sense.

I am under no illusions about how much GA has ADS-B (of any sort – especially the bit of the GA community which is habitually non-TXP which is mostly below 2000ft in the UK and these people will probably never get ADS-B) but it would be interesting whether ADS-B IN improves the detection range, which in my installation is 10-15nm sideways (more or less to spec) but only 1-2nm head-on.

It might not be worthwhile upgrading now in Europe

OTOH, if Avidyne cease support of the Ryan boxes (for whatever reason) it may be worth getting the upgrade…

Administrator

Do you mean that anybody radiating ADS-B OUT will anyway have a Mode C/S transponder? That would make sense.

There is a NATS project on-going, Project EVA to produce ADSB-out only devices. There are 2 prototypes LPAT and TABS. It is aimed at the ligher end of GA with no or limited electric system. They are currently looking for people interrested to partake in some tests.

Last Edited by Xtophe at 23 Feb 22:10
Nympsfield, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Do you mean that anybody radiating ADS-B OUT will anyway have a Mode C/S transponder?

In Europe, yes, not sure for the USA with this UAT, if this is also possible / allowed without any transponder.

Peter wrote:

I am under no illusions about how much GA has ADS-B (of any sort – especially the bit of the GA community which is habitually non-TXP which is mostly below 2000ft in the UK and these people will probably never get ADS-B)

I think is different from country to country. In the Netherlands, very few aircraft I have worked on or have had in for testing where not equipped with a transponder.
Non compliant ADS-B out is quite easy, and see this more and more on Dutch and German aircraft.

Peter wrote:

but it would be interesting whether ADS-B IN improves the detection range, which in my installation is 10-15nm sideways (more or less to spec) but only 1-2nm head-on.

Quite sure it does. You might want to check your antenna’s, as this isn’t very good. On several aircraft I have found the dual blade on top, and single blade at the bottom gave a better performance. I did use this swapped positions as well on TB-20.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

Peter wrote:

I am under no illusions about how much GA has ADS-B (of any sort – especially the bit of the GA community which is habitually non-TXP which is mostly below 2000ft in the UK and these people will probably never get ADS-B)

Don’t be too sure. Quite a lot of people have the necessary equipment (e.g. the TT31 transponder and an GNS430(W)) on board and do have the connections. Most people who upgrade their panels will have compliant equipment and use it. And as Jesse sais, non-compliant ADS-B out (e.g. a normal 430 with a TT31) is quite easy to do.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

The TAS605A already supports ADS-B IN and I believe existing systems can be upgraded. No external box is required – if already receives on 1090Mhz for the standard traffic function.

Any news on the cost and availability of the ADS-B upgrade for a TAS605 box installed Jan 2013?

Is the ADS-B data received via the existing antenna(e) of the TAS605? IOW, this is a firmware upgrade only?

Administrator

So far it is a vapor upgrade.

KUZA, United States
Sign in to add your message