Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ADS-B - what practical relevance in Europe?

Looks like I was wrong. My ADS-B was done and used initially in the US over the summer. It seems like aircraft to aircraft ADS-B is not affected by whether you are broadcasting is if equipped with ADS-B out you broadcast regardless of whether anyone is listening. Thanks Anthony.

I watch the traffic now over London broadcasting and 95% of airliners are doing it.

Increasing numbers of GA as well. A lot of jets and even for example the CAE training fleet at Oxford my base.

Last Edited by JasonC at 24 Sep 17:19
EGTK Oxford

There is practically zero chance of hitting an airliner

EDNY is one example where airliners approach through a very busy VFR airspace. Recently, they made the airspace E a TMZ (transponder mandatory zone) to give airliners a better chance of seeing and avoiding. There is loads of traffic there due to the scenery, many ultralights. I know quite a few other airports where the approach goes through airspace E or even uncontrolled airspace.

Also having an airliner overtake you 1000ft above/below can be a very scary moment (I once almost choked on my sandwich) so it’s always nice to see what’s coming and where from. ADS-B in is very useful to have and it’s cheap. ADS-B out is harder to get but very useful.

Instead of this useless Mode-S, 8.33kHz and ELT they forced us to sink thousands of Euros in, they should have mandated ADS-Out for the whole powered fleet. That would really have done something to improve safety.

It certainly helps with SA. When I get turn left 10 degrees, I can usually see why they are doing it. Also with climb restrictions – stop climb FL190 and you can see opposing traffic coming through at 200 so wait until it is past until you hassle them for a climb.

EGTK Oxford

Instead of this useless Mode-S, 8.33kHz and ELT they forced us to sink thousands of Euros in, they should have mandated ADS-Out for the whole powered fleet

Well, yes, in fact I would say that instead of the whole above business they should have mandated Mode C for the whole powered fleet and then

• commercials would have proper TCAS protection from GA
  • those in GA who have the active TAS systems would see everybody else
  • a traffic service from ATC would be meaningful, rather than the present “altitude unknown” which make up the majority in the UK

Mandatory ADS-B makes sense only if all applicable ATC is equipped with it, and looking at how little ATC is even Mode S equipped after all these years (reportedly a fairly cheap upgrade to ATC radars, and TIS costing a miniscule amount like 100k) I think this is going to take time. One can receive ADS-B with much fewer receivers but then it has to be distributed to ATC units in an “approved” manner i.e. leased lines.

They will never mandate ADS-B to provide GA-on-GA awareness because there are so few mid-airs and the regulators are not concerned with the emotional concerns within GA.

Here in the UK there is some big jet traffic in Class G but they always fly under a radar service and get out of there pretty quick. And jet TCAS uses Mode C and is never likely to utilise ADS-B signals instead.

I spoke to a guy at Trig who thought ADS-B will be mandated for IFR in CAS maybe 2020, with a 2 year implementation i.e. 2022, but will never enter the VFR territory in a significant way. And looking at how the “mandatory” Mode S has gone, I would tend to agree. There is no regulatory appetite for mandating conspicuity of VFR traffic, especially OCAS, and that means ADS-B will be useless for the most potentially useful function which is a “low cost” FLARM-line TCAS.

It’s a bit like here in the UK, where transponders are not mandatory OCAS (except in the few TMZs) and most of the VFR flyers (who seem to fly at 1500ft or below) are thus invisible, yet that (and in the circuit) is where most of the risk is, based on historical mid-airs. These people are not going to be installing ADS-B for any reason and especially not to make themselves visible because a significant % of them fly with transponders turned off (or set to Mode A) so as to not get busted for busting CAS that doesn’t touch the ground.

That is basically what I am getting at. I don’t doubt ADS-B is a “great technology”. I guess that if I was installing new stuff I would too go for ADS-B OUT while at it, if it doesn’t cost me anything.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

UK CAA in combination with UK NATS run a trail where uncertified GPS can be used as a GPS source for ADS-B. (This was / is allready possible under some approvals, others need a certified GPS). ADS-B allows to transmit an intergrity value. uncertified GPS are then classified as low intergrity.

I do agree with Achimha, mode S combined with ADS-B mandate would have been better and more senseable. ADS-B in would then become a senseable option as well.

There is no regulatory appetite for mandating conspicuity of VFR traffic, especially OCAS, and that means ADS-B will be useless for the most potentially useful function which is a “low cost” FLARM-line TCAS.

This is NOT true. Allmost all (or all?) ADS-B receivers are passive TAS systems. They receive mode A, C, S transponder signals and ADS-B signals. When receiving mode A it can only give a range based on signal strength, on mode C and S it give a range based on signal strength and sometimes a very rough bearing. When it receives ADS-B it will display the exact location as received from the other aircraft. The same is true for Flarm on Power Flarm or Garrecht TRX boxes. They just give you the highest possible data. It basically does the same as the TAS600 system at a lower price.

I don’t know if Garmin offer ADS-B IN

Yes they do

Power-FLARM offers ADS-B IN, but would one install that box just to pick up signals which virtually nobody (of relevance to practical collision avoidance i.e. GA-on-GA) is emitting?

Power Flarm does as described above, mode A, mode C, mode S, ADS-B and Flarm, so even more than would be possible on the TAS-600

In Europe generally, almost nobody uses FLARM. A while ago I flew with a loaned FLARM receiver for about 6 months and didn’t pick up a single contact.

Power Flarm is a Swiss product. They have sold over 25.000 units and are widely spread. Especially under gliders, I would say that 99% of the gliders I do pitot static and avionics testing on is equipped with on of the flarm devices.
If you haven’t picked up a single contact you either had a regular flarm and didn’t fly near continental gliders, or you had a technical problem. If you used a Power Flarm which also does receive all transponder signals and you haven’t received anything, then their was a technicall issue.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

As I mentioned above, the main reason for ADS-B implementation is replacement of radar systems…..right now most radar installations are good for about 30nm…..ADS-B removes this limitation and is far more accurate and will allow more continuous coverage instead of changing frequencies every 5 minutes and will allow coverage in areas where there is currently none…

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

It was a normal FLARM box.

I know the glider community uses FLARM but I was not flying close to glider sites, or if I was then not at weekends (I usually fly on weekdays).

I went to a Eurocontrol conference c. 2010 about ADS-B etc. Yes there is some pressure to replace radar with ADS-B and indeed they have a travelling team going to all the shows, demonstrating this. But they need a backup system and that will be ATC radar, and all the time you need radar you cannot ditch radar and have ADS-B. Also primary radar is required for all kinds of other stuff e.g. non-emitting traffic (accidentally or deliberately, and both of those are very real scenarios right now, not just in theory) and national security generally. If you used ADS-B for traffic management then it would be trivial for somebody to fly a bizjet (without a transponder) with a big bomb on it (or a small bomb of a different type!) from somewhere outside Europe, into Europe, and they would have an easy time. Radar is also needed for navigation backup in case of a large scale GPS failure; it is accepted that airliner INS+DME/DME systems being immune from this is not a complete solution because nearly all bizjets (and all of light GA) don’t have INS and would have an instant hard time if GPS failed.

So the concept of using ADS-B to replace radar is technically sound – until somebody wants to do something dodgy.

There is no way I (or most IFR pilots IMHO) will be flying around with traffic displayed on an Ipad. There is nowhere to put an Ipad in my cockpit, where it would be continuously visible and not be in somebody’s way. I can see the VFR community doing this, but they won’t see non-emitting targets, which will always be the majority of powered VFR low level traffic.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter,

Power-FLARM offers ADS-B IN, but would one install that box just to pick up signals which virtually nobody (of relevance to practical collision avoidance i.e. GA-on-GA) is emitting? In Europe generally, almost nobody uses FLARM. A while ago I flew with a loaned FLARM receiver for about 6 months and didn’t pick up a single contact.

Sorry, but you are really wrong here. Maybe not in the UK, I don’t know about that, but Flarm and Power Flarm are very wide spread in most European countries. I use mine whenever I go flying and I’ve had quite a few contacts displayed to me which proved very useful. In fact, Power Flarm as it stands today is technologically the most capable system, as it will show MORE than any other.

Jesse has explained the advantges of ADS-B Out more than adequately. To call it “vapourware” which will “go away” is not any reflection of reality. Not only will it NOT go away, it will most probably become compulsory at least for IFR. Anyone who has the necessary equipment and does not connect it acts quite egoistically and also not in his nor anyone else’s best safety interest.

I fully agree with Achim, it is a much better investment than any of the named devices, even though I believe one needs a Mode S Transponder to be able to transmit ADS-B out.

With regards to Flarm, it has become a power to be reckoned with. Even the national authorities, who used to ignore it, have become very interested in recent months and years seeing how useful this device is. ALL Swiss Rescue Helicopters carry it now and if I am correctly informed there are efforts to see how a Flarm sensor can be added in airliners in order to augment their TCAS equipment, which can not see pure FLARM traffic.

The distinction of Flarm vs Power Flarm is however very important. A pure Flarm device is not really very useful for anything else than reckognizing other Flarm equipped airplanes, which are mostly gliders. Power Flarm is an independent development which incorporates a Flarm rx/tx device PLUS a receiver for Mode C, S and ADS-B. For engine driven airplanes operating in CAS and OCAS, Power Flarm is the best and most reliable choice at this stage, as it will display all known signals. The only thing you won’t see on PF are airplanes which have their transponders off.

Here on a recent flight: This shows a mode C transponder signal in about 3 NM distance, 800 ft below. Note: No directional indication as no ADS-B signal available.

That is what Flarm or ADS-B targets look like.

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 24 Sep 21:13
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

I’m not sure why you are so anti-ipad Peter…..IMHO there are many, many (most?) GA IFR pilots running an iPad while flying….most are able to mount them on their yoke in full view…..

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

I’m not sure why you are so anti-ipad Peter

If someone could just hack an iPad to run Symbian or MS-DOS everyone could be happy…

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)
Sign in to add your message