Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Analysing EDM700 data

The owner of that company has published a number of "webinars" about engines. One of those is about engine monitors. I have found them all excellent.

Mike Busch Webinars

Gloucester UK (EGBJ)

This may be of interest to those who (like me) keep forgetting to download the data regularly enough...

The data store in the unit holds X hours, where X depends on the configured sampling rate. The buffer is organised as a FIFO (first in, first out) where there is an input pointer and an output pointer. When the input pointer catches up with the output pointer, the buffer is full and any further data overwrites the oldest flights. Once this happens, the traditional EDM software cannot retrieve anything... except sometimes some very recent flights. Basically the software is too stupid to search through the data for a valid header...

Their most recent software does however do it, but it is a clunky effort which seems to work as an Excel macro.

However a friend has just passed me this site which (to this extent anyway) is free and you can upload your .dat files to it and it plots them in a very nice way. It does correctly handle the "overwritten buffer" files (obtained by the "Download ALL" function in the EDM) too. You also get a nice cursor with the values at that point:

The company also does maintenance management for aircraft owners; not sure how applicable that is to European owners though.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
2 Posts
Sign in to add your message