Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

DR400 (steam) avionics upgrade

Single, as long as you have an alternate with a suitable approach and suitable weather where you can land without the GPS.

Oceanic needs two, AFAIK.

LSZK, Switzerland

Nestor
One GTN650 would proably do all you need as long as you have a new 8.33 NAV/COM fitted as well.
The problem you are going to face will be that some of the radios that you want to keep are simply trouble waiting to happen, your KR85 ADF has not been supported by King for years and as soon as it stops working it is likely to be unrepairable as is the DME I suspect.

Any fix for your panel that is going to be long term is likely to cost a lot but in the long run it will be cheaper and result in less downtime than trying to fix the panel one bit at a time.

If you do go along the GTN650 route please give me a call as we might be able to split some of the EASA paperwork costs, I should also have the CAD files soon to enable fabrication of instrument panels of thie vintage of DR400, this could save you a lot of time if you need to cut another panel.

Due to a G500 going in to my aircraft I do have a KCS55 compass system with a dual needle RMI (along with all the kit to drive it ) for sale if you are interested.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread.

You can now install a combination of single GTN750 or dual GTN650 or various options of both and GNC255 using a recently certified Major Change with full IFR (BRNav, PRNav and LPV) from Gama Aviation and CEAPR.

Last Edited by wigglyamp at 28 Feb 19:25
Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

Hi everyone, having recently looked into the possibility of a similar upgrade for our DR400, I have been told that there is still no STC (if I am following the regulations correctly) to have a GNS 650 installed for IFR.
Deos anyone have any further information on this please?
Additionally we could install something else but I am not aware of the options of hardware which would provide what we need when factoring in all the paperwork again.

Any advice would be great

Regards,
Pete

United Kingdom

GA_Pete wrote:

Hi everyone, having recently looked into the possibility of a similar upgrade for our DR400, I have been told that there is still no STC (if I am following the regulations correctly) to have a GNS 650 installed for IFR.
Deos anyone have any further information on this please?
Additionally we could install something else but I am not aware of the options of hardware which would provide what we need when factoring in all the paperwork again

You’re correct in that a GTN650 or 750 without the G500 in the Robin is not currently certified for IFR. The DR400 is not included in Garmin’s EASA-validated FAA GTN STC as the aircraft doesn’t hold an FAA Type Certificate. We believe Garmin are investigating a possible route around this directly with EASA.
The G500 TC/retrofit SB including the GTN is only available as a complete package either from Gama at Fairoaks or from CEAPR in Dijon (we wrote the data for them).
Currently there is a route to do a VFR Minor change for the GTN or alternatively an IFR=certified GNS430W/530W. We would consider doing an GTN IFR STC if we had several committed customers to share the certification cost but on each occasion when we’ve looked at this, no one has been prepared to proceed so we don’t feel it’s an investment risk we can justify on our own.
I believe something may be happening for the Avidyne IFD440/540 IFR certification (same issue on their FAA STC as Garmin) but if it is proceeding then it’s via a different DOA.

Avionics geek.

Wow, that’s pretty comprehensive. Many thanks for the information Wigglyamp.
Its very frustrating for me. I’m fairly techy, love our A/c and have just started the IR.
It’s taken ages to get the others interested in a panel update and the catylist has been the 8.33 with rebate, hence the nav com gps.

So to confirm, the 430w/530w route has been completed and we could do that without issue?

I wonder if the rebate excludes used equipment?
Better take a look asap.

Pete

United Kingdom

Definitely yes to the 430W/530W IFR route – I wrote the data!
Pm me if you’d like more details.

Avionics geek.

@wigglyamp Are both of these modification (GNS / GTN+G500) also for Robin ecoflyer (diesel)?

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

@Jesse
Yes all variants of the DR400.

Avionics geek.
39 Posts
Sign in to add your message