Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

DR400 (steam) avionics upgrade

But the 430 itself is great for VFR too.

I would think the GNS-430 can be a good choice, even for VFR.

Respectfully, I completely disagree. The only value in a 430 for VFR is to drive the autopilot. As a navigational tool it is hugely lacking. The 430 and 530 have such bad mapping and databases for VFR that it is VERY easy to get yourself into trouble. They work fine for IFR, but I would avoid using one for VFR unless no other GPS was available.

Much better to spend a fraction of the money on an iPad and a subscription Skydemon/EasyVFR/Garmin Pilot/JeppVFR.

EGEO

Well, i have a 430 in my Warrior for 12 years and flew it all over Europe and it works very well – i use a map with the waypoints and the route programmed in the 430.

After 8 years i installed an S-Tec 30+ Autopilot plus GPSS and then it was perfect. I also have a FS-450 fuel flow connected to the 430.

An additional iPad is always good, but with the 430 you have a good GPS, a good Com plus ILS and many nice tools.

BRNAV (RNAV5) is mandatory for all IFR in Europe.

No, it’s not. But most likely the places you fly to…

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

No, it’s not. But most likely the places you fly to…

Can you supply detailed information, Airborne Again?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
2) Do you think the existing 2 x NARCO NV122D Vor/Loc/Glide indicators could work with a GNS430 or GTN650 ?

Absolutely not. Sorry, but what you have there is all totally ancient stuff and has little to do with
“IFR equipment”.

Don’t throw away the 2 x Narco Nav 122D’s. These are stand alone Nav indicators and have a value in the used market place in the USA. The D model was the last version produced by Narco before they went bust and you could probably get $1000 each on US Ebay, which would help towards the cost of your new avionics.

EGTP

Most of the avionics in the panel have some value in the USA simply because the market is so big, the trouble is that the cost of shipping can almost outstrip the price.

Most of the avionics in the panel have some value in the USA simply because the market is so big, the trouble is that the cost of shipping can almost outstrip the price.

I’ve sold loads of old avionics on US Ebay and in some cases to people I know directly.

Under 2kg one can send it by airmail (used to be called Small Packet) and that costs about 15 quid, or 20 quid if you want it signed for. The drawback of this method is that the signed-for tracking works only to the UK border so the recipient can deny receipt, and get an easy Paypal refund. This happens very rarely – most people are honest – but packages can get lost.

The only way to track door to door is DHL (etc) and a 2kg packet will cost 50-80 quid (I get a special rate at work, like most regular users do). But there is no weight limit then. I sold my entire KCS55 slaved compass system for $2500 and the DHL shipping on that (about 8kg) was about 150 quid. Come to think of it, that stuff would have been great for a homebuilt aircraft – just need to find somebody to wire it all up

The basic URL for US Ebay avionics

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Can you supply detailed information, Airborne Again?

Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Latvia, Lithuania, Norway and Sweden do not require RNAV at or below FL95 in any airspace class. (Unless operating on routes that require RNAV, such as RNAV SIDs and STARs.)

I don’t know about other countries.

Ref. in each case AIP GEN 1.5 (except Sweden where it is AIP ENR 1.3).

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 26 Nov 17:50
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

If you’re looking for second-hand reconditioned, certified, GNS430W or GNS530W you could do well at Mendelssohn Link I have bought a 530w from them and I have been very impressed by their prices and service. I have no connection with them. They have a good value 28v-only GNS430W for sale at the moment.

Last Edited by Howard at 26 Nov 18:43
Flying a TB20 out of EGTR
Elstree (EGTR), United Kingdom

One more question concerning our DR480 upgrade.
We’re converging towards a GTN650 solution.
How many SBAS-capable receivers must one install to be able to perform LPV approaches in Europe ?
Is one single receiver sufficient ?
Are dual receivers mandated, like in the US ?

Last Edited by Nestor at 07 Dec 01:03
LFLY, France
Sign in to add your message