Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

The perfect tablet?

I don’t think Jepp do any of their IOS apps in Android versions.

I have never seen it but the Jeppesen website claims that all the mobile flight deck versions are available for iOS and Android.

On the ground it gets pretty hot in our cockpit in summer (50 degrees C approx.) and with no APU there is no way to keep it cool. Until now, the iPads never turned themselves off. Maybe if you leave them directly under the sun?

EDDS - Stuttgart

EasyVFR and I believe Skydemon? Both have transferable licenses. You can use the lisence on several different devices.

All the other apps like bank, airlines and so on are free in any case and they exist on both systems.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I’m not really looking to change as I’m fairly happy with my iPad.

Of course it’s not just a couple of aviation apps, it’s all the other stuff I have on there: if you want to upgrade to the latest greatest ipad, of course you can just back up the old one, restore to the new one and you’re back in business. If you switch to Android (for whatever personal reason or preference) I guess you just have to reinstall everything from scratch.

I would imagine that Apple see it as a customer retention feature…..

EGSC

I don’t think Jepp do any of their IOS apps in Android versions.

Jeppesen Mobile TC has both iOS and Android versions. (I use the Android version.)

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Is JeppFD (IFR) or JeppTC under Android?

These display the terminal charts.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Jeppesen Mobile Flight Deck VFR is not available for Android

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

JeppTC is available as an Android app. I’m using it on a Samsung tablet.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I tested the Samsung Galaxy Tab Active today for the first time. I like the size of the tablet. It might seem a bit bulky, but I prefer to have a bit of real hardware in my hands. It it everything but flimsy and weighs about as much as a normal iPad. I have made a picture for you all with the Tab active in comparison with something you all know the size of:

For now, I don’t have any matt filter on it and thus the readability in direct sunlight is a bit poor because of the reflections. My experience with the Galaxy Tab 10.1 and S3 has shown, that those filters do help a lot.

Charging the (replaceable) battery took about 4 hours, just as advertised. I started using Skydemon with about 85% at about 12:30 on our way to the North sea and after returning at about 17:14 I still had 58%, with GPS and screen running all the time and much “fiddling” in between flights (about 2:30 flight time). That has been much worse with the Tab 10.1 as well as with the S3, so it seems that I will like the “range”. I think I’ll have to do some more succinct tests on that, though.

As it has been noted in many reviews that the screen resolution would be too low. Well, it is far from a HiFi / Multimediatablet. It’s a tablet to work with and I think full HD isn’t necessary in most cases (in favour of a longer battery life).

In some of the next steps I will try to use it in conjunction with an Arduino project, I am eager to see how that will turn out. And by the end of this summer, I guess I will know it it is indeed the perfect aviation tablet.

Last Edited by mh at 08 Mar 01:17
mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

Thanks mh, quite interesting. I can’t avoid buying such a device for much longer, and this seems quite a good one. Unfortunately, what is good today is outdated tomorrow…

PS I am curious about your Arduino project – keep us posted! Myself will be porting my gps code to a Raspberry PI one of these days/weeks/months…

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

In some of the next steps I will try to use it in conjunction with an Arduino project

Could you tell more about this?

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
Sign in to add your message