Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Who makes these exhaust clamp bolts? (Socata TB20 exhaust clamps)

Peter – not quite right as in they are 6pt hex, but hi-temp and self locking Link

Taking a different tack, I would speculate that the loads are trivial – otherwise you would simply destroy the clamp. Surely on N-reg you can approve pretty much any credible nut and bolt combination? Does AC43-13B have anything to say?

The relevant text is in AC 20.62E : Eligibility, Quality, and Identification of Aeronautical Replacement Parts

f. Standard Part. Is a part manufactured in complete compliance with an established
U.S. Government or industry-accepted specification, which includes design, manufacturing, and
uniform identification requirements. The specification must include all information necessary to
produce and conform to the part. The specification must be published so that any party may
manufacture the part. Examples include, but are not limited to, National Aerospace Standard
(NAS), Air Force/Navy (AN) Aeronautical Standard, Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE),
Aerospace Standard (AS), Military Standard (MS), etc.

a. Replacement of Parts and Materials. The performance rules for replacement of parts
and materials used in the maintenance, preventive maintenance, and alteration of aircraft that
have (or have had) a U.S. airworthiness certificate, and components thereof, are specified in
§ 43.13 and part 145, § 145.201. These rules require that the installer of a part use methods,
techniques, and practices acceptable to the FAA. Additionally, the installer of a part must
accomplish the work in such a manner and use materials of such quality that the product or
appliance worked on will be at least equal to its original or properly altered condition with
respect to the qualities affecting airworthiness.

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Yes the loads must be trivial.

Looking back at the photos I posted, they date from 2002 when the engine came out for a shock load inspection (with just 1hr on the aircraft, a prop strike due to a pothole!) and I took loads of pics to make sure the maintenance co put everything back the same way.

And they show a locknut, 12 corners, like this

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I’m sure as long as you use “aircraft quality parts” with equal dimensions you will be fine. I can’t imagine that being a problem on an EASA reg either. It’s not like the bolt holds together the wings or anything. But then, I’m an experimental dude …

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

One issue with using ANSI (US) bolts is that 10-32 is too small and 1/4" is too big

One curious thing is that the FAA owner produced parts concession (for discussion purposes, I am proposing machining up the bolt out of stainless steel) prohibits doing that with standard parts (AN, MS etc), but these are not standard parts, are they?

I also found this interesting table here

It does make one wonder why one should replace these crappy steel bolts (which after a few hundred hours are so corroded they break when you try to undo them) with more crappy steel bolts!

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter, just to make sure it’s M6, can you measure the thread pitch? The easiest way is to press the bolt against a sheet of paper, then measure the length of 10 or so consecutive threads imprinted on paper. Normal thread is M6x1, fine is M6x0.75 (which is unlikely at this location).

Last Edited by Ultranomad at 14 Jan 15:54
LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

but these are not standard parts, are they?

Of course they are – they’re standard Metric parts and the standard is ISO .

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN
Just unbelievable and complete idiocy to specify that type of nut in this place ! What is the use of 12 faces instead hex nuts, as anywhere else when space is not critical ? The tensile strenght cannot be a factor seeing the clamp in the photo. My saying: I could not care less for getting standard nuts in this case, stainless like these

Nut

Nut

or high tensile galvanised for the nervous

Don´t forget to apply copper grease when mounting stainless as an antiseize.
Anyway, get a handful of any type and change them each season, no worries about corrosion.

Vic
vic
EDME

u will find the nuts here

http://www.paoloastori.com/en/
http://www.paoloastori.com/images/pdf/dhn.pdf

DP40 type

and dont use copper grease if it gets very hot use this

BOSTIK NEVER SEEZ PURE NICKEL Special
http://www.neverseezproducts.com/purenickel.htm

fly2000
Sign in to add your message