Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Who makes these exhaust clamp bolts? (Socata TB20 exhaust clamps)

Googling on those specs doesn’t find anything, but a google on e.g.

m6 locking nut inconel

finds some interesting sites such as this. I do wonder however how many people bother. I reckon the Socata bolt is a normal stainless steel and so was their nut. No wonder they are a pig to unscrew after some time – they are caked in corrosion. The all-inconel exhaust pipe system is like new after 2k+ hours however.

It would be interesting to try to get some inconel bolts and nuts and do a really good job on this…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

company like this willmore or less make you any bolts similar companies are also in the UK
https://torlopp-gmbh.com/materials/

fly2000

The company linked in my post #51 doesn’t appear to stock anything; they make it to order. That would be super pricey.

Administrator

As I mentioned I have a quantity of the real Socata bolt, in post #1.

Is there any possibility that the nut on post #33 might be problematic? I ask only because some the temperature ranges for “stainless” posted earlier seem ridiculously low.

I am going to replace all the exhaust clamps at the next service. They are all basically leaking. They haven’t done badly, for something like 10 years… That white exhaust sealant mentioned earlier and also here works but barely lasts between services.

Administrator

With reference to this thread about exhaust clamp sealants I replaced all 10 of the clamps today.

This is what they all looked like

Every one of the 10 clamps had been bodged by the maintenance company (EASA145) that fitted them. It was about 10 years ago. You can see that the ends of the inconel strip collided with each other during the tightening, rather than sliding past each other.

No wonder it was hard to get them to seal.

This is how the strip is supposed to be

Administrator

I have emailed Dawley Aviation regarding refurbing the used clamps… apparently they can do it. I will report when I hear.

Administrator

… and here are the above clamps, refurbished by Dawley Aviation in the US

Total cost for nine was $313 including $53 return airmail. I then got charged by the UK post office £60 for import duty (incorrectly charged but hey) and 20% VAT. This is fantastic value.

They bead blasted them and put in new inconel strips

Administrator

Just heard that Dawley above no longer repair the clamps.

And Socata charge $500 for these clamps! That is plus the bolt, the spacer and the nut! Unbelievable.

Administrator

I’ve just seen a pic on a US Socata group, showing this clamp, apparently made by an exhaust shop in Germany, called Gomolzig

This is the muffler drawing

Apparently there are two issues:

• the two-part clamp will leak badly if fitted onto an existing Socata exhaust, because there is no inconel strip
  • it is certified only with the Gomolzig exhaust
Administrator

…which have IMHO the superior design, as they do not need the sealing inconel strip.
And overhaul a complete exhaust system for about 4-5 Socata clamps.
I got lucky, because the previous owner installed a Gomolzig exhaust system for noise reduction – it made the repair/overhaul due to a leak more affordable.

EDM_, Germany
Sign in to add your message