Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Avionics upgrade

I would recommend a Trig TT-31 mode S transponder, and a Garmin COM/NAV/GPS. Aspen EFD1000 Pro is the most economical way to gain HSI functions. While Peter is correct about the KCS55 it contains a lot of components, which all would require to be recertified with an EASA Form 1. All these seperate components require a lot of wiring, which makes the KCS55 very labour intensive, and therefore expensive.

The KCS-55 should in my opinion not be used as an upgrade in a certified aircraft. It would IMHO only make sense in an experimental, of a spares for an aircraft allready equipped with KCS-55 system.

A very good solution would be:
- GTX328 mode S

I don’t agree with this, as the GTX-328 is a non ADS-B capable unit. The TT-31 is, is a little more affordable, and Trig support is superb.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

Boscomantico, I know everything is outdated but the aircraft was at a competitive price. And I know that avionics is expensive so the panel upgrade will begin with the most important stuff! :)

Casimir D
ESVE Stegeborg

It’s not often that you see so much outdated stuff in one place, the only thing that will make any money fit the owner is KX155 that has some value in the USA.

I would look for a good audio panel ( PMA8000BT ?) and a GTN 650 with a GTX33 transponder to save on panel space. Or a GTN750 with the Garmin remote Audio & GTX33.

The second box could be Garmin or king if you require a NAV/COM or a second GTX650.

To stay IFR a legal you need a DME and ADF, there are some very good deals to be done in the USA a for second hand DME & ADF units so seak out a KR87 ADF system and a KN 63 DME.

That would be enough of a shock to the cheque book without me going into indication systems ! ( but I do have a reasonably priced KCS55 HSI/RMI system for sale ! )

No, you only need an ADF if you want to fly NDB approaches. Which you will never do, especially if you have anything from a GNS430 upwards. If it’s N-reg you also don’t need a DME, you can substitute the DME with GPS.

If it’s N-reg you also don’t need a DME, you can substitute the DME with GPS.

Only in US airspace, and then only subject to certain rules.

Being N-reg doesn’t change this.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

How many modern N-reg IFR touring aircraft do you know with a DME? I can’t remember when I saw the last one. AFAIK can be substituted by GPS for all ILS approaches? Or is that wrong?

You wrote the correct answer yourself some time ago: "……. if the GPS is a WAAS GPS, in which case it can substitute for the DME anyway. But WAAS GPSs came in quite late into the Cirrus “sales cycle”.

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 20 Jan 21:04

AFAIK can be substituted by GPS for all ILS approaches? Or is that wrong?

No substitution allowed in EASA-land.

How many modern N-reg IFR touring aircraft do you know with a DME? I can’t remember when I saw the last one

That is probably true for Cirruses, which have always been selling in Europe without ADF and DME unless the customer knew the European regs and demanded them to be installed. In 2002 I didn’t buy an SR20 mainly because the UK dealer refused to discuss it. I have often wondered why nobody flying these in the Eurocontrol system had been prosecuted for this (there were rumours but they were never substantiated) and I suspect that one of the CAAs got legal advice along the lines that a prosecution would make them look ridiculous, and obviously even more so on the subject of the ADF.

Most non-Cirrus IFR tourers do have a DME. One cannot usefully fly nonprecision approaches (that need a DME) without it, because there is usually no readily usable GPS database waypoint that is equivalent to DME=0.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

No, you only need an ADF if you want to fly NDB approaches.

That depends. Several countries in Europe require ADF no matter what. OTOH no one would ever notice except possibly if you were ramp checked.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

@Flyer

What you are saying is simply incorrect. The european regs are (in almost all easa countries) that you need all instruments that are required for the approach.

For example Rotterdam has 2 ndb’s in her Ils approaches. Thus .. To legally fly the approach you need to have an adf. Regardless wether you can fly the approach on gps and regardles wether you fly easa reg or n reg.

There seems to be a new trend that countries are becoming aware of how outdated this is. So there seem to be developments that countries are deciding to write in their aip that you may substitue by gps. Only if it is in the aip are you legal.

Many cirrus aircraft are thus flying approaches illegally.

My n-reg Commander is equipped with both adf and dme.

Last Edited by Commander at 20 Jan 21:18

What you are saying is simply incorrect. The european regs are (in almost all easa countries) that you need all instruments that are required for the approach.

Exactly, and since nobody is flying an NDB approach, nobody needs an ADF.

I’ve never seen an ILS approach that requires an ADF. Or maybe i forgot.

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 20 Jan 22:00
Sign in to add your message