Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Avionics upgrade

Jesse,

>>In most cases this will be a major change under EASA, so no option either. This combo will be to expensive due to paperwork.

I have been wondering about this.

I have a normal 430 in my plane now, plus a KX155. That is one radio with 8.33. In 2017, Switzerland mandates 2x 8.33 for IFR unless AOPA or other folks will succeed to stop this. My plan has been to look out for another 430 or possible a 430W to augment my current one at this time.

So that would be a major change with 1000 Euros or more EASA Tax?

In the case of Casimirs plane: Isn’t the installation of the Autopilot in itself a major change? In which case, if done together, there would be “only” one of those?

A and C

What is new? EASA is one factor, goldplating by national authorities (sometimes in violation of EASA rules) the other.

However, things may change. EASA seem to take a new route for General Aviation under Patrick Ky. I did talk to some CAA representatives last week and they told me to wait with certain things to see where things are going, as they were hoping for them to get better.

Yes, making planes with panels like Casimir’s IFR is expensive. But it also can be rewarding, as it gives you the chance to make it what you want it to be rather than living with what the previous owner liked. Also I might have been cheaper off buying a different plane (even though I did not find one with a good IFR fit which would have fit that budget) but am happy with my decision to upgrade my known aircraft.

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 21 Jan 10:32
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

@ A and C

very well said – let’s hope Patrick Ky will change Goudou’s evil EASA spirit, the sooner the better …

EDxx, Germany

How “little” money do you want to spend Casimir D?

I have been looking into the cost of installing a GTN650 NAV/COM/GPS + a TrigTT31 mode S transponder.
That will cost about 18kEUR including VAT.

To install a used GNS430W instead of a new GTN650 is about the same cost. So one can just as well buy the new GTN650.
I have not looked into the cost of installing a used GNS430.

Last Edited by Anders at 21 Jan 11:22
ESTL

I have been looking into the cost of installing a GTN650 NAV/COM/GPS + a TrigTT31 mode S transponder.
That will cost about 18kEUR including VAT.

That is completely outrageous. Could you please post the breakdown of the quotation, and some info on the aircraft it is to go into?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

That is completely outrageous. Could you please post the breakdown of the quotation, and some info on the aircraft it is to go into?

Betch ’ya there is no breakdown other than the VAT

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Well. Things tend to get expensive when you add up all little extras that are needed. The Trig is simple. You basically just remove the existing transponder plug in the new one. For the GTN/GNS there are EASA fees, the need for a new serial blind encoder, etc.

I have received quotes from Avionik Straubing, DAO in Denmark and @Jesse that is on this forum.
Those quotes are all in the same ballpark but Jesse comes out cheapest and seems to be both knowledgeable and thorough. We will go with Jesse for the install.

GTN650 11.650 USD
GTN650 Installation (work, EASA fees, testing, etc) 2.000,00 EUR
Trig TT31 incl. installation 2.500,00 EUR

Then you need to add VAT.

For the PA32 in this thread. Maybe it will need a new CDI if a new GPS in installed and it does it have a 406MHz ELT?

ESTL

When I installed 2×650 in the US two years ago purchase and install ran at $11500 per unit. I got 5000 for each 430W.

But of course there was no VAT in that or EASA work.

Last Edited by JasonC at 21 Jan 12:21
EGTK Oxford

And in this case a new GPS WAAS antenna and a serial encoder needs to be installed.
So the quote seems reasonable to me.

ESTL

I wasn’t suggesting otherwise, just providing a data point.

EGTK Oxford

Sorry. JasonC. I was ambiguous.
My comment about that I got reasonable quotes were meant for Peter and Michael.

In general I think one needs to look into the particular details of an aircraft in order to determine how munch a specific avionics upgrade will cost. There seems to be so many dependencies to type of aircraft, avionics compatibility, etc that affect the final cost.

ESTL
Sign in to add your message