Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Avionics upgrade

unless AOPA or other folks will succeed to stop this

that will surely be very useful, as all the neighboring countries demand 8.33kHz anyway (and actually use 8.33kHz frequencies).

You’ll end end up with an airplane capable of going to 2 err no 3 IFR airports.

And it will even be questionable whether you could legally land at your homebase, because all aproaches end up overflying german territory…

LSZK, Switzerland

Tom,

I have 8.33 on ONE GNS430 set. I was told that for the moment that is enough. The 2nd set is a KX155 without 8.33

I was told that by 2017 Switzerland, BOTH VHF sets need to be 8.33. I understood that in Germany this was also a demand which in the mean time has been reduced to one. So that is what I hope will eventually change.

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 21 Jan 13:10
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

that will surely be very useful, as all the neighboring countries demand 8.33kHz anyway (and actually use 8.33kHz frequencies).

According to their AIPs, Germany, Hungary, Italy and Switzerland do not require any set with 8.33 at or below FL195… At least not at this time.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 21 Jan 13:55
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I have been given an 8.33 frequency over Germany, but can’t remember who by. It was in 2014. Certainly below FL200, though probably not much below.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I like a lot my GNC255A as its easy to switch to a 8.33 frequency ( its configured in 8.33 mode) even tough I didn’t get a 8.33 freq for now…
For the OP I would replace his TKM stuff with a 430 non W (low cost- you get GPS and 8.33), replace xpdr to mode S and go from there…Basic IFR not more without an A/P it’s good for training and small trip only…all the rest A/P, GTN etc will just cost mega $$$$$ IMHO

Last Edited by Vref at 21 Jan 14:58
EBST

Airborne,

to get the sheet of paper that sais “IFR” in Switzerland, you need ONE 8.33 capable and approved COM device for now. There apparently is a time set for the end of 2017 by which you need ALL of your Com devices to be 8.33 in Switzerland but even the CAA people themselfs won’t hold their breath so far that they will actually implement that. So I am holding mine and wait and see… chances are that before that Avidyne might certify their IFD440’ties in Europe and then I might well invest in one of those to replace the GNS430 I have now as primary and use the 430 as secondary. Or, if a 430W crosses my path before that at a price I will find difficult to refuse, so be it. Otherwise, I’ll happily continue using my trusty KX155 as 2nd Com.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Re GPS, it all depends on where you want to go. Certain places in Germany have only GPS approaches.

If you want to get a GNS430 approach approved in an EASA reg, the approval alone will cost many thousands.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

According to their AIPs, Germany, Hungary, Italy and Switzerland do not require any set with 8.33 at or below FL195… At least not at this time.

You are correct. You don’t need an 8.33kHz radio if you don’t operate in airspaces of class A, B, and C.

Otherwise, check the official journal of the EU (which is directly law, unlike the AIP).

Not having access to A, B or C makes IFR pretty useless, in Germany, Austria, Italy and France, I think.

to get the sheet of paper that sais “IFR” in Switzerland, you need ONE 8.33 capable and approved COM device for now

That’s a new one (and a positive one), who said that? I’ve got a mail dated 29-May-2013 from Roger Christen, FOCA airworthiness inspector, telling me I needed two…

LSZK, Switzerland

@tomjnx, my maintenance unit says it’s two for new regs, but one for already registered planes.

The truth is out there.

How many modern N-reg IFR touring aircraft do you know with a DME? I can’t remember when I saw the last one. AFAIK can be substituted by GPS for all ILS approaches? Or is that wrong?

Some charts for ILS/DME have a note such as “aircraft unable to receive DME will be provided radar distances” eg Doncaster ILS/DME 02
Some charts for ILS/DME say procedure not available without Radar or DME, eg Southend ILS/DME 24
Some just say DME required.

The reason you are wrong is that in many cases the GPS does not give a readout which is equivalent to the DME reading, it gives a readout to the next waypoint which is not where the DME is located. Therefore it can’t be used as a cross check as it’s supposed to be.

Last Edited by Neil at 21 Jan 16:49
Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)
Sign in to add your message