Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Annual costs

these are now available almost anywhere in the developed world

N Europe, sure. Down south, it’s very different. It’s a huge empty void down there – in competence if not on paper.

Elsewhere it gets worse. Socata now sell parts direct to Australia – because the disti setup down there collapsed totally. I wish they did that for the whole world! It would reduce parts cost by 20-30% overnight and shave a week off the lead times (because no distis keep stock of anything).

I think your observation is more likely just a reflection of how old the European GA fleet is. It is not the case in the US for example.

Yes I am sure it’s true, but that’s where we are and that’s what we have. In the USA, the new planes fly lots of long runs, IFR and all. Here, the new planes are seen mostly on the local burger runs. Given the corrosive effect which “little issues” have on long-trip confidence, I am not surprised. I didn’t do any trips in the first 12 months of my TB20 ownership, due to issues.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

What about a thread with details about cost of annual inspection. It is one of the big questions and unknown variables regarding aircraft ownership.
We just got the invoice.
Last year was one of the worse year maintenance wise. This year though annual was just inspection and oil and filter change.
Aircraft is a c172s
Annual cost incl. vat 1550,- euro
App 100h yearly

pmh
ekbr ekbi, Denmark

As you already allude to, it’s not the annual inspection itself which is so expensive. It’s the needed replacements and repairs to get the aircraft signed off which really blow up the invoice.

The inspection itself, done at a shop, will usually cost between 1000 (cheap shop, simple aircraft) and say 3500 (expensive shop, complex aircraft) Euros incl. VAT (for an SEP). While that is, in percent, a big variation, in absolute terms however and in the whole picture of total operating cost, it‘s almost negligible.

It is therfore quitepossible to really discuss and compare total costs of annual inspections or 100 hours inspections. These depend all too much on various factors, i.e.:

• your attitude
  • the checkers attitude
  • the condition of the aircraft
  • the maintenance program (if EASA reg)
Last Edited by boscomantico at 16 Oct 15:04
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Posts moved to an existing thread.

An astonishing lack of response to pmh’s post

€1.5k is very good for an Annual… almost unheard of for any certified plane, worked on by a Part M company.

In the UK, 2.5k is more usual for a basic Annual. A bit more for a TB20/SR22 type.

On top of that is remedial work, of course. I know of a C150 which used to run to 8k-10k a year (a syndicate of about 25 and poorly looked after in years past). Typical numbers for more complex types are 5k as a starting point (most SR22 owners I know seem to pay that).

Unfortunately, what is usual with retractables is that the gear doesn’t get done in the basic price, which is OK for a number of years… this is one of the hidden gotchas with annuals costing less than one might expect.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Ha, +1 on the gear work. We just replaced the o-rings on the landing gears and it was a hell of a job. Probably 3 days once it was all said & done because it hadn’t be dismantled in decades. 36$ in parts and 20 times that in labor.

What makes the answer so variable is the frequency of different inspections. This year, our hoses (engine and airframe), heater and props all fell into sink and the bill was ginormous. In other years it is probably one third of this year. Then there is the stuff they find – a worn bearing here, a fluid leak there – and that adds a lot of noise.

It’s just unknowable. And the more systems you have (engines, gear, CSU, hydraulics, de-ice, pressurisation etc) the more unpredictable it becomes.

EGKB Biggin Hill

+1 for proper retractable gear maintenance

From our experience of operating an Arrow on a grass field with sandy ground I recommend cleaning, greasing and lubricating at every 50h inspection, as opposed to at the 100h checks the MM recommends.

It’s cheap to do, and given the state of the grease I see leaving the bearings, should help a lot. Sand and grease together form a nasty paste. I can imagine neglect to become quite costly over time.

I also do not find the task too hard, but I’m also rather short and can sit comfortably under the wing and in the wheel well. Having a second person holding the connector in place while pumping helps, though.

EDXN, ETMN, Germany

Invest in good hangarage to reduce the volatility of the expense.

If you go retractable stick to well maintained tarmac. Operating off dirt/mud increases wear and tear but also the risk of a gear malfunction and then the cost/write off of an aircraft that landed gear up.

A simple study of schools operating RG aircraft off grass may prove this thesis.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

On a Cessna 150 that does 450 hours a year I bank on

£500 for a 50 hour check
£1500 for a 150 check
£6000 for an annual.

Although I have had annual bills double that before.

I would also add I feel the quality of the work is poor. Far worse then the maintenance done on my permit aircraft by a fellow aircraft owner who is car mechanic qualified.

$200 to the A&P for the basic inspection, $400 last year because we removed and replaced the main gear, plus elevator pivot bearing replacement. The total might get over $1000 all told, some years. This coming year I’ll be replacing the heated pitot, already purchased and expensive (I forget the the exact amount) plus I plan on removing the canopy to have some paint work done. The latter could be between $500-1000 so if included in Annual (which is probably not reasonable, it’s nothing to do with airworthiness), the total cost might be over $1500.

Sign in to add your message