Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

L3 Lynx - active TAS and ADS-B traffic warning system

I like the back of the Lynx box

A nice bit of RF miniaturisation in there

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Electrical power up tomorrow or latest by Monday as Easter present :)

Zsolt Szüle
LHTL, Hungary

Gosh… if I had your avionics shop here in the southern UK, I would be re-doing my centre stack right away.

Administrator

@Zsoszu, how is the installation going?

Can you please tell me where I can buy the PIC Wire cables online? I wasn’t able to find anything…

Also, did the cables fit the provided connectors kit from L3?

Thanks!

LRIA, Romania

We had a small glitch today. When we powered up, and

the L3 tripped the CB. We already found the bad pin, pure planning error. I will get back to you with the PIC cables. I brought it from Chicago by myself, but yes, the order was online. Talk to my shop tomorrow. The L3 provided 5 small cables, either stright or L shaped, depends on your need, and yes, there are ok. I spent most of my time at the airport, asssiting the guy. It is a very difficult job, especially to relocate the new wiring of the Aspen, EA100, ACU2 combo.

Zsolt Szüle
LHTL, Hungary

@Zsoszu did you succeed in finishing this installation?

Administrator

Here’s an update of my installation.

Everything is installed, except for the NY-164 active traffic antenna, that should arrive in a week’s time.
Hopefully I’ll get rid of the GNS530 as well soon enough…

LRIA, Romania

I have finished the installation by the end of April. I gave a strict deadline to the shop to finish it. They did.
My setup works flawless, however the job was very complex.
At the first stage, we have removed the central stack, removed the old instruments like XPDR, King ADI^HSI, old audio panel, ADF indicator. Those are sold, except the King KI256.
Then, the guys rewired the central console, integrated the connectors with autopilot system, found a proper place for L3. The L3 has 5 antenna cables, has a straight and 90 degree connectors and it seemed to us, that we have ordered the incorrect one. At the and solved.
Meanwhile, I arranged the antennas and the doublers for the L3/COMM/Aspen. I needed drilling for the Aspen RSM module, and the TAS antenna. One of the VHF 1 Commant is replaced with WAAS^COM combined antenna, since the L3 needs GPS signal. Slowly my TBGT looks like an AWACS with the forest of antennas. We needed some logistic with the antenna location in order to keep the required distance between them.
The TAS antenna needs proper grounding. Therefore, I covered the ceiling with thin copper inlay , and the grounding is connected with special harness to the metal part of the aircraft.
Then the TAS antenna fixed. BUT, when the antenna was fixed, I realised, that I cannot fix overhead console to the ceiling, because the antenna doubler blocked the nuts in the roof. So, antenna Off, double off, additional holes to locate, drill, and re/install. Then we had issue with the air duct from the aft, and the TAS antenna connectors. The overhead panel needed some adjustment, then all fitted again. I also needed longer bolts to fix the antenna. Huuuh.

We had issue with the TAS cables behind the panel, but solved of course. Tremendous job was to remove all unnecessary cables and connectors and find the way of the new cables without interfere with the flight control mechanisms. Some cables I left in its place, properly
Beside the TAS and Aspen installation, the EDM wiring and installation was also in progress. We paralleled the fuel flow sensor with the EDM, but soon will install the EDM provided sensor. As Peter mentioned in one of his post, the original sensor fluctuates.

Then slowly, we put the Aspen into its place and we connected to pitot static system. Power up, found one of the pin was incorrectly installed for the L3, but rectified quickly . L3 setup, Aspen setup, EDM setup took on day. All followed by pitot static+altimetry testing.
All found good, TestFlight successfully done. All works properly even the LPV approach on the KFC225 which was not available before. The only issue I have now the stay vacuum Attitude gyro has to be replaced. Since it is overhauled, has some issue. The factory new its on the way.
If you guys have questions feel free to ask

Zsolt

Zsolt Szüle
LHTL, Hungary

Zsolt Szüle
LHTL, Hungary

That’s very beautiful job and result. Hat s off !

Sign in to add your message