Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

L3 Lynx - active TAS and ADS-B traffic warning system

Yes, nice job, @Zsoszu and thank you for posting all that detail.

The condition of your plane is like new!

I like the little switch panel at the bottom

When I install the “WAAS upgrade” (one day…) I will do the same because I will have a bit of room there.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Hi Peter.
Thanks for the compliment. THe guy who did this for me, he lives close to Luton. He is a Wizz pilot. So if you have question I can connect you with him.
The switch panel is good, but I have learned the lesson not to keep any pen there. On my last flight the pen hit the radio switch ans shut down everything/

Zsolt Szüle
LHTL, Hungary

How’s the active traffic option so far? Does any traffic you wouldn’t normally see show up on the screen?

If you’d have to start it all over again would you choose the same equipment?

LRIA, Romania

I got Mode C, Mode S displayed on Avidyne in 2D on the map, and 3D in Synth Vision. On the Aspen, also 2D and 3D options are available.
Definitely yes. The L3 has easy installation, has larger range than other units in the same price category. The Avidyne was also a good choice based on 0 installation costs. Just slide in into the rack and fly. The Aspen is a different story, but on some point you have to stop yourself because the bill might be very very big at the end. The Garmin Txi is nice, but tremendous job to install. I had Aspen in my previous TB, was very happy with that, so I know it already.

Zsolt Szüle
LHTL, Hungary

@Zsoszu are you able to confirm the total installed cost of the system?

I am updating my TAS605 writeup with the L3 Lynx being recommended as the better option.

Administrator

I have paid for the L3 Lynx 9000+ 16.591 € plus Vat (including hardware and installation).

EDDS , Germany

How much of that was the installation?

I wonder what the installed cost of the TAS605 would be today. I paid 13k inc VAT for mine in 2013. However the L3 appears superior in every way – except that you have to find room for the panel mounted box.

Administrator

Installation was 5.542 € plus VAT, Minor change was 1.500 plus VAT.

EDDS , Germany

That, Peter, makes your total installed cost 30% higher than mine, or 20% higher if you were N-reg.

But a lot of the extra is the installation. I paid about 3k for mine, IIRC.

Why was the Minor change required? This sort of installation, on an EASA-reg, would normally be a Major / STC unless replacing something similar. On an N-reg it would be a Major but the STC covers it.

Administrator

Why was the Minor change required?

Because it was the replacement for the Garmin Transponder, I assume. But no idea, I have not asked.

And I know that the installation costs where a little higher, but they did it in 3,5 days instead of 10 days which the other company has estimated. :-) And being not grounded was worth the extra costs because of my business schedule at that time.

EDDS , Germany
Sign in to add your message