Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

German register query - Can I run my D reg propeller on condition?

Folks (esp D reg operators)
The 3 blade MT-12 Prop fitted to my D reg Mooney soon reaches 6 years. My UK maintenance firm are happy with it and are happy for it to continue in service beyond 6 years ‘on condition’.

Is that allowable on the D reg -and if it is, other than the CAMO / maintenance organisation completing their usual paperwork, do I need to do anything to have the prop run on condition (like does the Approved maintenance program need to specify that the prop and engine can run on condition?). Id be happy to ask the LBA this – but knowing who to ask is not clear.

thanks for your help
justin

Last Edited by Justin at 26 Feb 17:24
EGNV and Fishburn Airfield

Yes.
On my G-reg Cirrus the Prop had to be overhauled after 6 years (at 800 hours …). But D-reg you can fly it on – on condition.
I just visited MT this afteroon. If you have specific questions, I will be there next week too! (To get my 4-blade prop!)

(apologies for the Typo ‘Propeller’ in the title folks – cant change it now!)

[fixed – Peter ]

Thanks Flyer59,
Does anyone know if specific action is needed to allow it to run on condition?
And even if / where i can find official ‘chapter and verse’ on this in case my maintenance outfit wouldlike to see it?

I would send an eMail to MT prop. They will answer soon and give you all the details. They are really nice people there.

Try this guy for example:
[email protected]
(Customer Service)

like does the Approved maintenance program need to specify that the prop and engine can run on condition?

On D-reg you can run the propeller on condition but the approved maintenance program must list this exception at “3.2 Zulässige Abweichungen von Herstellervorgaben”. Best is to include the propeller and engine on condition clause right away in any new maintenance program. That saves a lof of effort modifying the program later on.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Thanks Sebastian, I wish I’d known that when I drafted the original maintenance program :(
Because as far as I know, we didn’t include it. The maintenance program is in English.

Do you have any tips for modifying the program? (since it looks like ill need to submit a fresh one to the LBA). I expect they will screw another few hundred euro from me for any modification :(

Specifically do you know what phrases I can use (copy and paste kind of thing) for the prop and engine on condition allowance – ideally in English or failing that, in German?

j

Do you have any tips for modifying the program? (since it looks like ill need to submit a fresh one to the LBA). I expect they will screw another few hundred euro from me for any modification :(

The LBA will only reluctantly process your IHP (maintenance program), they want you to use a CAMO for this. Only a few CAMOs have LBA approval to accept maintenance programs. Maybe it’s different if they have originally approved your program. Modifications are cheaper and faster than new programs.

The 6 year propeller overhaul is even more stupid than the 12 year engine overhaul and it is the main reason I did not switch from D-reg to G-reg. An aluminum propeller can safely go for 50 years if it is in good condition.

An aluminum propeller can safely go for 50 years if it is in good condition.

That would be true for a fixed pitch one-piece 2B prop. A prop is design-stressed to about 25% of its elastic limit, so there is a fair margin.

For CS props, the metal itself can go to whatever years but if the prop is full of internal corrosion you won’t know by looking at the outside. So there needs to be some sort of process for checking it out. If you see grease or oil leaking out, that’s a bad sign, but if you can’t, does it mean it’s OK for 50 years?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

BTW: My new prop, due to be installed next week :-)

I co-wrote the original maintenance program (under the supervision of the CAMO) and I submitted it to the LBA who approved it – so hopefully modifying it will be ‘straightforward’.
What I don’t know is what collection of words will raise least risk of objection when they get my application for a change to the program.
Probably in section 2.3 I have an entry each for prop and engine for service extension beyond calendar or flight time TBO subject to satisfactory inspection, and in the appendix, I lay out what that inspection program will be for the two items (engine and prop)- which will be pretty loosely described :)

45 Posts
Sign in to add your message